Screwed Up External HD Permissions -- HELP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Heisler98, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Heisler98 macrumors member

So I had a little fiasco today starting with making myself the owner of my boot volume (not a good idea, btw)

When I did that, I had my FreeAgent GoFlex Drive 1TB drive in my computer, and it screwed up the entire permissions of it. When I try to open it, it says 'You do not have sufficient permissions to see the contents of this drive' or something like that. I know what it means---I just need a way to fix it.

I did a quick 'ls' on the Volumes folder and the permissions for the drive was this:

d---------@ 25 918 Jul 20 10:16 FreeAgent GoFlex Drive

Same thing had happened to my Macintosh HD. But I can't do a permissions repair through disk utility on it because it doesn't have Mac OS X on it. I've tried chown....don't exactly know how to use it, but it keeps saying 'Operation not permitted'.

Are there any terminal commands I could do to fix it? It has valuable and sensitive data on it -- well, today, anything does.

Thanks a lot.
    --H

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Why can't you "Get Info" on the affected drive and adjust the permissions there? Or even just tick the "Ignore permissions on this volume" option.

If you're determined to use Terminal, try:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R username /Volumes/Drivename
    sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Drivename

3. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

Oh yes, the other thing I forgot to mention. Sorry. When I pull up Get Info and try to do all of that, it has several com.apple.sharepoint users that are set to Custom, as well as my username and Administrators group. They all say Custom access and won't let me change it even though I authenticate it. ANd the Ignore ownership of this volume...doesn't change much.

There is no "ignore permissions". I'm on 10.6.8.

EDIT: And even when I try chmod, it says 'Operation not permitted'

4. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

For all of those who saw this thread and wondered, how the heck do u fix that or they had the same problem:

Root. The System Administrator of the Mac will always be able to override certain permissions. It did seethe contents of the drive, and I was able to back the contents to another drive, but I cannot write to it. Shame. I'll format it and then ill be ok.

Thx Darth.

H