Screwed up importing files from Time machine - now what?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LAS.mac, Oct 5, 2009.

1. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Ok, so I did a messy thing.
    I just bought a MBP 13" and tried to import, with Migration Assistant, part of the files I have in my imac. Say, mainly, all the Pictures, some music, some other files.
    I got a sort of warning message saying something like the user name was the same in both macs, and I had to change one. thing that I did. Result: instead of having the imported files under my user (say, LAS), I now have two users, LAS (without imported files) and a new user (say, LAS2) with the imported files.

I know, I'm an idiot.
    Anyway, I'd like now to:
    1. possibly, bring the LAS2 imported picture et al under LAS
    2. get rid of the LAS2 user, at all.

If one is not possible, I'd like to get rid of the Migration Assistant importing, and the newly-created user, and start again

Suggestions?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The easiest method I can think of is to drag the data you want to move from LAS2 into the Shared/Public folder in that users home folder, then access it while logged into LAS and drag it into the appropriate places.

If it's just music and photos, all of that is in their respective folders of user/Pictures and user/Music.

Depending on how TM organizes it's data, you can also probably just access the iPhoto Library file and drag that into the Picture folder in the user's home folder you want.

3. LAS.mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick answer.
    I'm going to try that.
    What about deleting LAS2, then, once I've shared and put my files in LAS?