screwed up password

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DwightKincaid, Oct 28, 2014.

1. DwightKincaid macrumors newbie

So on my macbook air, I tried to update my password. Apparently I hit a wrong key, now I have no idea what my password is. So I can't update my flash player (Adobe), or anything else that requires me to enter the password that I now do not know. Any suggestions? This is not a stolen laptop, I purchased it new, have the receipt, just for those who want to make accusations. I just screwed up on the password.

2. laudern macrumors 6502a

This is really a non issue. Just get a portable HDD, copy every file you need onto it. Format your pc, reinstall your OS X and you're good to go...

Although it's beyond me how you mucked up your password twice when entering in your new password.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's possible; I often transpose M and N when typing so it's not impossible to make the same mistake twice in a row when entering a password. Indeed I have set an incorrect password myself.

As for the actual issue, I believe that it's possible to reset a password by booting into recovery (hold Option at the boot chime).

4. laudern macrumors 6502a

Yes do this. That is the best option! I forgot about that.

I am waiting for the day when macs have an iCloud lockout feature.I know you can lock your laptop remotely...But I am suggesting a full 'iCloud lock'...That would make mac safety excellent.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just follow this guide to reset the password.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

What is that?

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

You can remote lock a mac. But if you want to format it and start over, you can still do that even when it is remote locked.

The same can not be done when an iPhone/pad is iCloud locked. Thats what I would like to see implemented on macs...

8. chabig macrumors 68040

I see. An activation lock. That would be really great.

9. DwightKincaid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone

Thank you for the help. Holding the option down on restart worked fine. How I screwed it up when I had to enter the password twice is beyond me, but I was real tired of not being able to update my flash player, among other things. That problem is now solved.