Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
Hey guys,

I backed up my hard drive, then booted in recovery to erase my mac HD. From this point I think I screwed things up.

I restarted the computer and tried to restore immediately from Time Machine but there was error and I couldn't.

I restarted again and tried to install Mac OS Sierra from scratch (planning to restore afterwards). But this didn't work either.

Now I'm stuck in limbo trying use my computer again. I wonder if something can walk me through the correct steps? I'm writing this from my phone and I'm attaching photos just so you know what I'm working with.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    753.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    884.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    743.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    586.4 KB · Views: 57

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try these steps... plug in the TM disk then option key boot to it. From there start Disk Util and go to the erase tab. Now select the Apple SSD at the very top where I have marked it. Then format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then quit Disk Util and restore.

What prompted you to do this to begin with?

IMG_0013-2.jpg

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
Try these steps... plug in the TM disk then option key boot to it. From there start Disk Util and go to the erase tab. Now select the Apple SSD at the very top where I have marked it. Then format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then quit Disk Util and restore.

What prompted you to do this to begin with?

View attachment 755485
I did what you said. By the way I returned home and found the computer very warm and it tried to boot into windows for some reason.

In any case I option booted from the TM drive and opened disk utility. Then I selected Macintosh HD, and erased it (though I already had).

At this point I no longer saw all those different drives to choose from so I couldn't choose the SSD. There wasn't the option to restore the mac hd so I left disk utility and went directly to time machine backup. I selected my TM drive and then the mac HD. Now it's giving me a 3 hour estimate to restore. I guess you can't boot from the drive you want to restore onto.

If this works I hope everything will be fine in a couple hours. I'll check back here and maybe you can tell me if I'm on the right track.

I did this because I was having a display issue and an Apple rep said I should try and reinstall OS before considering it a hardware problem.

I followed the directions he sent me but they didn't feature every step and they didn't account for some options and details that I had to choose from so I winged it. Probably impulsive on my part.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    572.4 KB · Views: 53
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.