Screwed up the Hinge on a MBP - Repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agentphish, Aug 5, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

So my friend was pushing open his MBP while he was getting up from the couch, and he slipped on the edge of the carpet and lunged forward, and put a lot of pressure on the screen and bent it back too far...now it won't shut completely.

So I'm looking to find out if he needs a whole new top case assembly for around the screen or if the hinge can simply be replaced. Luckily there's no damage to the actual LCD itself.

Click pics to see bigger size...
    Here's what happens when he tries to close it:
    [​IMG]
    That's as far as it goes shut. He says he can press it shut all the way but it won't stay closed, and is "very hard" to make close

It also looks like the top case assembly around the screen is a little bent but not that bad.
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think?

2. watermelon macrumors regular

The macbook pro hinge is crap.
    This happened to mine twice, through general wear and tear.
    I had to pay to get it fixed (through apple) but you can probably by a replacement hinge / display yourself through a 3rd party site and save some money, although I would choose to go through apple.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

User error. Just because you dropped something and damage it doesn't mean it's crap.

Try driving your car into the wall and see what happens and who will pay for it (and see how much your insurance goes up).

4. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

How much did it cost you?

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

5. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

A search on eBay comes up with 6 items and a couple more in eBay stores. The cheapest set goes for a buy-it-now price of $7.00 plus $9.99 shipping.

Go to www.ifixit.com for excellent instructions on how to replace them yourself.

Good luck.

6. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

7. watermelon macrumors regular

:rolleyes: