Screwed up while erasing HD, now what?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by satyasada, Apr 30, 2013.

1. satyasada macrumors newbie

I'm preparing my old black macbook for sale (sigh....) to help offset the cost of my shiny new macbook pro.

I did a 7-pass erase of the volume "Macintosh HD", reinstalled everything from the install disks the computer came with, and then installed Snow Leopard. probably should have called it a day, but.....

Because I'm paranoid, I was on the disk utility gathering the proper information to post a question here about whether erasing "Macintosh HD" is sufficient if it is the only volume, or whether I also need to erase "149.1 Hitatchi...."

Inadvertently I pressed erase (with the Hitachi highlighted) , and although I stopped it as soon as I could, I now have "Untitled" where "Macintosh HD" was and I"m not sure what other consequences.

How can I rename the untitled volume to Macintosh HD again and is there anything else I should do to repair whatever it is that I did? I assume I'll need to start over with installing the operating systems.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you already completed the Setup Assistant and have created an account for the new user, go to Finder, press CMD+SHIFT+C and select the Untitled volume and press CMD+I and then go to the Name and Extension section of that Get Info window.

If you have not created a new account, just do a clean install, should not take more than 3o minutes.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 19 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

3. satyasada thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your speedy reply!

I did complete the Setup Assistant, but it seems whatever I did has rendered the operating system on the hard drive useless. The original install disk is in the computer and when I try to quit the installer and have to select a startup disk, the hard drive is not an option - just the disk and network startup.

So I can't even eject the install disk, it looks like I'll have to reinstall. Does that seem right?

Also, as I side note, my intention on starting with the original disks was to provide the new owner with iPhoto and the other iLife things that I think are not on the Snow Leopard dvd, but please let me know if that's not true!