Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech19181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Hello:
I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro that has been serviced multiple times. The screws are starting to come out of the bottom case. I'm wondering which Loctite (Threadlocker) Apple uses (or should be used) to prevent them from coming out.

Is this one the right one (Blue)? Or should it be the Green one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UEMZ2/

Thanks!

The Resolution:

I build radio control helicopters as a hobby, and am VERY familiar with Loctite. When used incorrectly I have a $2000 machine plummeting to the ground :)

You want blue if the screw heads are not damaged and you have a screwdriver that is exactly the right size. If you're concerned about that, use purple.

Whichever you choose, you do NOT want to coat the whole screw. You only need a little for it to do the job, just the last 1/3 of the screw, the other end of the head not the head-end. If you coat the whole screw it will just squeegee out anyway and you will have to clean up the excess.

Your objective is to use just enough to keep it from backing out, not to make it impossible to remove. Feel free to PM me if this is not clear.

Last edited:

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Yes..

Thank you for your reply. Is there a big difference between blue and purple? Is there a reason why Apple would originally use blue instead of purple? Thanks!

YES.. The colours indicate Strength of Holding Torque.. and if it is real LocTite brand, the BLUE may quite possibly Permanently Lock the Small Screws!!

** BLUE :Ideal for all nut and bolt applications 1/4in. to 3/4in. (6mm to 20mm)

tech19181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Okay I'll get the purple then. And then to apply it you just squeeze a tiny bit on the screw and wipe off the excess? Does it matter if you put it on the top of bottom of the screw?

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
It comes out of the tube as a liquid, not a paste, so application won't be terribly difficult. It'll just get all over the screw, pretty much.

I just replaced the thread lock on my 15" the other day, though I used the blue Loctite. Not sure how difficult it will be to remove, but my screws seem to have stopped unscrewing themselves (which is good!).

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Perhaps..

So the blue one definetly won't be too strong?

Hopefully someone WILL reply who has Used and Removed it.. I cannot say that I have done so with the 'wee little' MBP screws to be honest.. There is such little contact area that perhaps it will not matter..

I DO however know that it is recommended by any and all users I know (more mechanical types) that you need Very Little to make it work, and in fact LESS is better.. Period..

** By Definition, LocTite (or any thread-locking compound) has to dry and seal the threads to do what it does.. I have applied too much on some projects, and weeks later it is still 'wet' and accordingly is not going to hold anything 'tite' as it were.. Although the Heat generated by the computer may also help to set the product.. :apple:

tech19181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
This is tough. Some people said blue and some said purple. Now I have no idea which to get. It does seen that the entire screw does not need to be covered in it.

richnyc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
NYC
This is tough. Some people said blue and some said purple. Now I have no idea which to get. It does seen that the entire screw does not need to be covered in it.

To be truthful I have never done it with the little screws like on my cMBP, only bigger ones on desktops and towers. Also, when disassembling PC components you only see blue loctite on screws, even my cMBP has blue loctite on all the main chassis screws, just a touch;) I believe, you should be fine...

In any case, even purple should be plenty strong to keep not-moving, not-spinning, not-vibrating parts together;)

Either way, you're gonna be fine... Don't sweat it;)

canuckle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2011
I build radio control helicopters as a hobby, and am VERY familiar with Loctite. When used incorrectly I have a $2000 machine plummeting to the ground :)

You want blue if the screw heads are not damaged and you have a screwdriver that is exactly the right size. If you're concerned about that, use purple.

Whichever you choose, you do NOT want to coat the whole screw. You only need a little for it to do the job, just the last 1/3 of the screw, the other end of the head not the head-end. If you coat the whole screw it will just squeegee out anyway and you will have to clean up the excess.

Your objective is to use just enough to keep it from backing out, not to make it impossible to remove. Feel free to PM me if this is not clear.

nopw

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
It just so happens that i know somebody who is working for Loctite / Teroson.

canuckle

is 100% correct. If you have a not worn off screw: use the blue Loctite.
Only cover 1/4 to 1/3 of the screw-tip with a very small amount of Loctite.

ONLY the screw shall be covered with loctite! Do not put something into the thread!

Keep in mind that screws are actually made to fit perfectly so there is not much space inside the "system". It should only be a very thin layer.
While youre driving the screw in the Loctite will work it self up.

Try 1/4 first than work your self up to 1/2 covering the screw.

have fun:
nopw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.