Screws for 2008 8,1 A1224 20"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dlaymusic, Oct 8, 2011.

1. dlaymusic, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

dlaymusic macrumors newbie

I posted a week ago about some issues I had with a "restoration" iMac I bought at a Goodwill Computer Store. My main problem right now is screws. Upon further investigation I found a majority of the screws that hold the frame and the LCD screen are missing or not the right size. Seemed like an easy fix...until I researched it and found many of the screws are specialized for each iMac and outrageously priced. I searched Craigslist, Ebay, and all the major after-market/refurb Apple parts sites, as well as went around to some local repair shops, fastner shops, Home Depot/Lowes, etc. and either couldn't find the ones I need or they were outrageously priced (I can't justify paying $20-$40 for 2 screws! Especially when I need at least 25 of them). The icing on the cake is that some sites list different specs on the screws, so I don't know who I can trust.

I prefer to avoid a debate on Apple "screwing" those who prefer DIY repairs. If someone out there has a set for this computer (I can pay you via Paypal, but be reasonable), or happens to be working on one and can use the guide at http://www.laptopscrews.com/Sizing.htmto measure the dimensions so I can find equivalents it would be much appreciated. I'm at the point I don't know where else to turn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. dlaymusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

*Eight 13 mm T8 Torx (Apple Part 922-8206)
    *Four 25 mm T8 Torx (Apple Part 922-8207)
    *Two 5.3 mm T6 Torx Apple Part 922-7010
    *Eight 8 mm T8 Torx screws securing the display panel to the rear case. 922-8172 
    *Two fine-thread 7 mm T10 Torx screws holding optical drive in bracket 922-7018 
    *Two 3.5 mm T6 Torx screws securing the optical drive connector to the optical drive 922-7656