Screws in DVI port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rlkv011, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

I just installed a new hard drive in my new macbook pro. I made the bonehead mistake of putting two screws into the dvi port. Is there anyway to get these screws out. I did a quick search and someone else had the same problem but it was never answered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I'm not quite sure what you mean... as in you put screws into the two ports that allow you to screw a dvi cable on to the port so it doesn't fall off?

3. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Sounds to me like you need the two screws. Keep them in, and if it causes problems, let us all know.

4. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I don't quite understand the problem. Wouldn't the logical solution be to unscrew them and put them into the real holes?
    :confused:

5. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

Yeah he has me confused as well... maybe pictures would clear up the situation.

6. RichL macrumors 6502

I almost spit my cereal out....rofl.

Why....? What...? ....anyway, just unscrew them.

-Rich L.

7. Rlkv011 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I put a screw in each of the holes for the dvi port. The dvi adapter screws into these holes where I put two screws. They twist around but they will not come out. They are not supposed to be there. I don't know what I was thinking when I put screws in there.

8. RichL macrumors 6502

Well that sucks pretty hard. If the fixtures they are being screwed into are turning with the screws then you have a big problemo! Maybe you can get someone to take it apart or something.

-Rich L.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Try using a magnetic screw driver.

10. bbushman macrumors newbie

FWIW, Rlk, I just arrived here googling the same thing. I didn't do both, but I did start to screw one of my side screws into the DVI hole, and, likewise, cannot unscrew or otherwise coax it out. Was tired, have done this too many times as of late (second hard disk to fail on my in 6 months, and warranty RMA's require me to take apart 2x - once to take out the drive and send it off, a second time to actually replace it), and was on autopilot.

ANYWAY- if anyone has additional thoughts, or if Rlk has since managed to get those out on his own or with assistance, I'd much appreciate input. Otherwise, I guess I'll head down to Happy Mac tomorrow, because I can't go without my cinema display... ;)

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't see how this can happen... The HDD is on the left of the touchpad; the DVI port is to the top right of the keyboard...

Unless you're saying your mistook the DVI screw hole for a screw hole for the chassis? Well the best thing is to unscrew it. Considering the chassis screws are smaller, then the best is to use a neodymium magnet.

12. bbushman macrumors newbie

Also, FWIW, I just found this apple service manual that has some pretty damning evidence:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8237/macbookpro

(sorry, it's ePaper crap and so no direct linking to the page/section in question.
    But basically, if you go to page 37 (or just do a search for "holes") you'll find this:

+"Step 16: Reinstall the left and right side screws. IMPORTANT: Do NOT insert screws into the DVI screw holes. If they get stuck, they may require removing the logic board to dislodge."+

That doesn't sound good at all.

So... has anyone had success without going to such lengths?

13. bbushman macrumors newbie

Alphaod-

The HD part of things is irrelevant- it's just the reason everyone is so readily cracking open their cases. ;)

But yes: to be clear, the problem is WHILE putting back in all the chassis screws, if you are in a hurry or are otherwise careless, distracted, etc. it is possible to mistake at least one of the DVI screwholes for one of the actual chassis screwholes. For me, it was the one adjacent to the Ethernet port- the real one is obviously just on the OTHER side of said port, and up a few cm. And it doesn't take much screwing (for me - two turns and I saw my error) to get it lodged in there.

Obvious? Sure. Stupid. COMPLETELY. Possible? You Betcha.

Unfortunately, what I, and it appears several others, including the original poster, are finding is that there's an awkward size and/or threading relationship between the chassis screws and that DVI hole such that it doesn't QUITE thread - so you can't just unscrew it - but it DOES catch... so that simple feats of magnetism or tape doesn't seem to be that effective.

The note I just posted from the full Apple Service Manual would appear to support this... :(

14. bbushman macrumors newbie

And finally, for anyone still having difficulty visualizing what we're talking about, and/or as warning for those who might - photo evidence. A little blurry, but clear enough to know what's going on. Note the glint/reflection in the lefthand DVI screwhole. Anyway, the photos are on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbushman/sets/72157604226473747/

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

lol i know what happened. For those who dont know what he's talking about:
    you have to take out ALL perimeter screws to get the top case off, which allows access to the HD. This is only for the MBP. To re-install the top case, you have to put the screws back. If you're not careful you can mistake the DVI port screws for the top case ones. as mentioned earlier, the service manual specifically warns the tech not to do this. It is NOT as simple as unscrewing it, or using a magnet (without case modification). The screw is smaller in diameter and doesnt grab the threads. It also actually gets stuck behind the outer case.

A tech at work did the same thing. I had to pick up where he left offf...

My manager said he used a drill bit to gently bore the casing around the screws to make them wider, and easier to pull out with a magnet, etc.

OR

you dont have to bore the holes and instead, remove the Logic board. Since you've already done the HD, the logic board requires removal/moving of the right speaker, superdrive, heatsink, fans, and related connectors. as well as the screws (for first gen macbook pro at least). If you do this route, make sure you have alcohol prep pads and a tube of thermal paste (try some arctic silver ;)). Hey, at least you can get lower temps now. ;) It was good practice for me. I had never worked on a macbook pro until that day (worked on plenty of macbooks though). I actually think the top case is easier to get off than the macbook's.

edit: and keep your work area organized. A lot of different length screws and types. I suggest getting an ice tray (what apple manual suggests. :)) and post-it notes to label which screws are for what part. Never had an extra/missing screw since. :)

and dont be too hard on yourself. A few people at work admitted doing the same thing. Also, that is why Apple had to include that little tid bit. ;)

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

[​IMG]

:eek:

17. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i did the same thing on my older alubook, with only one screw, not two! the screw head get stuck right between the enclosure and the dvi port. i left that screw in there but it seems the other posters are right, the screw cannot be removed unless removing the logic board from the bottom plate :(

18. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Count me in as another goofball that accidentally put the screw back in the wrong whole. I have tried absolutely everything to get it out and it just isn't happening. Apple seriously should have tried to change something to prevent the screw from getting stuck in there since they seem to know this is a problem.

19. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Just to let you know.

The only way they will come out is if you have some super duper magnetic screwdriver or if you open the machine up. When I sent my Mac in for repair the repair company made the mistake of putting the screws in the DVI port holes. Idiots!

To take them out I had to open it up. Grr!

20. RandiC macrumors member

I was waiting for someone to blame Apple for this!!!

21. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Haha, I was actually trying not to be that guy and chose my wording very carefully. I'm certainly not going to blame Apple for something that I screwed up (pun intended) on my own. It would have just been nice if they would make the hard drive easily accessible like the MacBook or something to try and prevent this problem. Anyway, does anybody know where I can get a replacement screw? I'm just going to leave that stupid screw in there but I need a replacement to hold the case together all nice and snug.

22. RandiC macrumors member

Just kidding..........LOL

23. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I'm just curious, for those who have done this...

How much of a problem is this, actually? The DVI connector will work without being screwed in (and I'd go so far as to say that if you've got your computer positioned so that you have to screw it in so it doesn't get pulled on, you may want to reconsider your layout), so do these screws actually prevent insertion of the DVI connector into the port, or is this merely just an example of an "oops" that ultimately doesn't matter as far as the operation of the computer goes?

24. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

You can still plug the DVI cable in but you would be missing one screw that holds you case together if you can't get it out. So it isn't the end of the world because the case isn't going to fall apart and the DVI port is functional but man does it ever annoy the crap out of me having that screw in there.

25. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

use this magnet and the screw will surely come out (Pull Force - 800 pounds :eek:) :D
    [​IMG]

problem is that in the same time you will most likely damage your internal HD forever and maybe mess up your TV if it's in the same room :(