Screws on the bottom different then the older models of the iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pkwon, Dec 4, 2010.

1. pkwon macrumors newbie

Okay so here is the story, just recently, my home button on my iphone 4 started to fail on me. So I went to the genius bar. Got the replacement, but the replacement had the yellow band, so I went back 5 days later (yesterday), and the genius was happy to replace the phone. So this is my 4th replacement phone. Originally bought in Early August. 1st replacement was because of the gap on the back. 2nd replacement was because of the battery. The 2nd one is the one I had used till end of November (hence the home button failing).

Anyways to the point. Earlier this morning, I was checking my phone out, and on the bottom where the screws are, I noticed that they are no longer a + screws, but instead a * screws (like the pictures of the iphone 4 on the iphone 4 gallery page on the apple.com). If I recall, my 1st, and 2nd replacement phone 4, had the + screws, which you could remove the back with a small screw driver. However, the replacement that I got recently, had the * screw on it.

Just to clarify, the serial starts with 5K week 44. I don't care if it's a refurb or not because you really can't tell the difference between the Brand new one. Because it is very clean all the way around just like the brand new.

Anyways, what I want to know is, did they change this screw recently? Back in June, July, August, they all had the + screws. So does the brand new iphone purchased today would have the * screw?

Honestly, I don't have any intention of removing the screws but I just find it odd how it's different from my previous iphone 4's that I have owned.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh, reports are in that the new ones use torx screws instead of philips. It makes it harder for users to remove, that's for sure, and Apple probably wants it that way.