Scribble

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jwolf6589, Jun 20, 2018.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

Anyone use scribble? Any manuals online on the language?

2. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Yes, I use scribble. I am not sure what you mean by manuals. You click the scribble option and write one character at a time. There is a space bar at the bottom of the screen to separate words.

3. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

Apple's site probably has references to the functions of scribble. I use it daily. I like it because you simply draw the letter. Its not like Graffiti on Palm devices. Plus, you can write the first few letters of the word, and use the digital crown to scroll for the word you're trying to spell.

unnamed.png

4. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 68000

jwolf6589

This I did not know thanks.

5. nokkynuk, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

Found a help article at Apple's site here.

watchos3-messages-scribble-animation.gif

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I wish Apple had licenced Graffiti. Man, I became an ace at that, back in the day.

7. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

I hated graffiti. I don't think it would be finger friendly, but more options would be a good thing regardless!

8. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

Me too - I could write Graffiti as quick as regular writing and you didn’t even have to look at the screen.

I use Scribble quite often and have gotten fairly proficient. I find it helps if you write a whole word without pausing (though still one letter at a time). The device seems to use fuzzy logic to work out what letter it is most likely you want in the context of the other characters you have written.

9. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm glad Scribble is more natural. I had various PalmOS devices starting in the late 90's and all the way up until I bought an iPhone 3G. I guess I used Graffiti for about a decade, and I noticed it had spilled over into my handwriting. As soon as I tried Scribble for the first time I think I was using Graffiti strokes with my finger. Some worked and others didn't. I think I have pretty much unlearned it now. I do find Scribble to be convenient, natural, and fast enough for short messages.