Script for new file copy only?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bry25, Jan 13, 2013.

1. bry25 macrumors newbie

hi,
    im running osx ML on an intel mac and i'm a newbie to terminal and scripts, what i want to try to do is the following :
    on my mac i have my mp3 directory, on an external hard drive i also have my mp3 directory, BUT when i get new cd,s/mp3's i put them onto the mac. i need a script/terminal command so i can copy FROM the mac TO the external drive and instead of spending ages copying all the files it will only copy the new/changed files. I used to do this on my old pc but dont know how on a mac.
    any help is greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use CarbonCopyCloner and its scheduling option (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download) to clone one folder (with many subfolder) to another folder on another HDD, and only the changed items (new or modified) will be copied after the initial clone.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

If you want terminal and script try to use rsync

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

Works over network but also with local folder or external attached drives. I like it because it works on all my Unix/Linux systems.

4. bry25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, CCC does what I want,but I wanted to create a shortcut on my desktop that linked direct to the script rather than opening a program. Like I said tho, CCC does do what I want.
    So thanks