Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Though I'm very cynical at this point, Scrivener for iOS seems to be back on track after L&L found their new developer.

Blog post.

Maybe it will happen this year! I wonder if we'll see an iPhone version...

Reactions: 997440 and arn

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Guinea Pigs Wanted!
Scrivener for iOS has been in closed beta with around 75 people for the past month. We’re now looking to expand the beta group, so are throwing open the doors to volunteers. If you’re interested in helping test Scrivener for iOS, read on!

The word “beta” has been watered down a little in recent years, with Apple and Google making available early “betas” of their software to everyone. As a result, the word has almost become synonymous with “getting it early”, with little expectation on beta testers to do much in return. Ours is a true beta, however, so the most important thing to bear in mind is that you shouldn’t sign up if you’re just after early access to Scrivener for iOS. We’re looking for testers who will be active in helping us track down bugs and find problems, to help us ensure the final product is as stable and great to use as possible.

We only have a limited number of beta testing spots available, and right now we’re looking to add between 200 and 250 new people to the pool. The spots will probably be taken up quickly, and we expect to receive more applications than we can accept, so please don’t be disappointed if you miss out, or if you apply but don’t get asked to participate—we may well scale up the beta further a little later.

You don’t have to be a techie to apply—you just need to be ready to use Scrivener a lot on your iPhone or iPad (iOS 9.0 or above is required). Crucially, you need to be prepared to encounter bugs and to spend time trying to reproduce them so that you can write down the steps we need to take so that we can see them for ourselves and fix them. If you don’t have time to spend repeating the same sequence of actions over and over again in an attempt to trigger a bug you’ve spotted, then beta-testing isn’t for you—you should leave others to act as Guinea pigs and wait to reap the rewards of their frustrations when Scrivener for iOS is officially released instead!
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Though I'm very cynical at this point, Scrivener for iOS seems to be back on track after L&L found their new developer.
The "new" developer is the main developer, who took over the reigns after several failed outsiders. :) Unfortunately it also means that the large overhaul of the Mac application (ie. Scrivener 3.0) is likely not coming this year.

Open beta is now closed for new applicants.

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
Scrivener for iOS in a nutshell.

Now coming in 2011! Never happened, because.............(fill in lame excuse here).
Now coming in 2012! Never happened, because.............(fill in lame excuse here).
Now coming in 2013! Never happened, because.............(fill in lame excuse here).
Now coming in 2014! Never happened, because.............(fill in lame excuse here).
Now coming in 2015! Never happened, because.............(fill in lame excuse here).
Now coming in 2016!

I seriously hope they it actually DOES come out, but at this stage it's already been "Coming later this year," for the last 5 years.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Wow, okay. I am glad that people like this aren't making iOS Scrivener. After the first or second failure it would have been good game.

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If you follow this situation closely, you know it's not that simple. But the success of Scrivener iOS is not determined by one person.
[doublepost=1463316031][/doublepost]
I just signed up for the beta myself. I am really looking forward to see how Scrivener works on the iPad

Me either. I signed up also. My iPad Pro 12.9 and I want to do some serious writing. I tried using Ulysses and it works okay, but it isn't Scrivener. ;)
[doublepost=1463316102][/doublepost]
The "new" developer is the main developer, who took over the reigns after several failed outsiders. :) Unfortunately it also means that the large overhaul of the Mac application (ie. Scrivener 3.0) is likely not coming this year.

We'll see. It sounds like the vast majority of the code re-write for the Mac was already done, but yes, they only release when sure it will work.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

Scapple seems to be dead also.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Apple has approved Scrivener for sale on the iOS App Store, so we can now give an official release date: 20th July. To recap the details:

• Price: $19.99
  • Release date: 20th July
  • Requirements: any device running iOS 9.0 or above (iPad, iPad Pro, iPhone, iPod Touch)
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=934

Indeed, it absolutely supports syncing with Windows! The reason I only mentioned Mac 2.8 is because I'm the Mac and iOS developer, and I had to get the Mac version submitted to the App Store well before our iOS release, so that it goes through Apple's review process and is available to users before the iOS version is released, whereas we have complete control over the release of the Mac and Windows versions on our site. (Users will need to download a free update for Mac and Windows to share projects between platforms.)
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=29755&start=930#p215966

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
Looks really great - and strangely looks nicer than Mac Scrivener...
Indeed. I'm not sure that a fresh coat of paint is enough to bring me back, but it does have a nice, modern look that is far and away better than the current Mac version.
I'd imagine they will be working to align some of those design choices back to the Mac in a future version.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
I cannot believe this is actually happening. I sold the iPad years ago after giving up hope (and it was an iPad 3 and rubbish).

Time to book in a trip to the apple store in anticipation...
[doublepost=1468486266][/doublepost]Any beta testers out there with knowledge of the utility of the pencil (if any)?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
There isn't any utilization of the pencil. I can't really imagine how it would work, to be honest.
[doublepost=1468525762][/doublepost]I should clarify, the pencil still works the same way as your finger, so it technically works. There just isn't any extra functionality for the apple pencil.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I tried to find a bug, and I couldn't even find one. It is really, really good. The only issue that I ran into was with the limitations of iOS. I found it easier to have my source material in Evernote, and use a split screen with Scrivener. That really worked well. It never crashed, and the sync worked really well. I am plopping down my 20 bucks day one, and I am not even gonna think about it.

Reactions: 997440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.