scroll by "flicking" in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trev, Dec 3, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I don't know if there's an app out there that'll do this, not one that I can find anyway. But is there a way I can scroll through webpages/pdfs/etc by "flicking" my two fingers on my mouse pad, similar to what you can do with the ipod touch/iphone when "flicking" through music. Thanks!

Trevor
    - Proud new iPod touch owner

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

EDIT: Ack, beaten out by bigandy.

What type of computer do you have? If it's a MacBook or MacBook Pro, it's built in but just might need to be activated in your system preferences (Keyboard and Mouse > Trackpad > "Use two fingers for scrolling.") If it's an older one, I believe there is a software package that allows you to enable that, because I've seen two iBook G4's with that feature enabled recently, and it doesn't appear to be software related, so possibly simply a firmware update of some type?

jW

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

You have to be quick when I'm at work and bored off my tits. :p

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

No, he means "flicking" using 2 fingers, like on an iPhone. Meaning normally on the laptop to scroll far down in a list he has to actually move his fingers all the way from the top of the trackpad to the bottom of the trackpad, lift his fingers, put them at the top of the track pad, pull all the way down to the bottom of the pad, and keep repeating. But with a "flick" motion he could throw the list very far down in a single motion.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Maybe the new notebooks at MWSF will have this.

7. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

motulist is right, this is exactly what I'm talking about... so nobody heard of this existing for mac so far?