Scroll Lock

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by twfmike, Jul 17, 2008.

1. twfmike macrumors newbie

How do I toggle Scroll Lock off on a MacBook?

Running MS Excell for mac 2004, and Scroll Lock is permanently on. It wasnt when I bought it, so somehow it has been toggled on, but I cant find out how.

Suggestions I've had are
    F14 (No F14 on a MacBook)
    Fn & F1 (doesnt work)
    Shift and Clear (No Clear on a MAcbook)

seems to be nothing in either Mac or Excell documentation and it's driving me a bit uts.

Help!!!

Running OS 10.5.4 on an Intel MacBook

2. chscag macrumors 65816

Try this:

From System Preferences, click on "Keyboard and Mouse". Place a check mark in "Use all F1, F2, etc........

Now press Fn + F1.

Regards.

3. twfmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Great Idea. But doesnt work....

keep them coming!

4. twfmike thread starter macrumors newbie

I've cracked it!

Plug in a Windows keyboard and use the scroll lock key! Genius!

5. yew macrumors newbie

command and f4

A year and a half later! I hope you've figured it out by now. I've just spent a while googling the same question, and couldn't find it anywhere.
    I knew what button I was pressing when it happened, though wasn't sure of the second one.
    It is - COMMAND AND F4 - it is the worst! and now, I have a black box around all fields that I could enter stuff into ... how do I get rid of this?!! .. hopefully if I reboot, it'll go away!! :rolleyes:

6. Aurvandil macrumors newbie

had the same or a similar problem on my macbook pro

f14 is the key on my keyboard that needed to be hit to toggle scroll lock.

7. murphstein macrumors newbie

Scroll Lock on MacBook Pro 15

...and after another year...

Try Fn + Shift + F12 (nice)

I found this on the MacBook Pro boot camp site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1220

I'm running FreeBSD in a VM (Fusion) on my new MacBook Pro 15 and needed a scroll-lock key to view the HW probe results during the OS bootup sequence.

Since this thread comes up first on Google, adding the info here.

8. JaimeChaves macrumors newbie

Finally i found a solution for all of you guys!!!

I was tired of seek how to turn off the Scroll Lock on Excel on my MacBook (it doesn't have F14 key), so i download a virtual keyboard for Mac from http://virtualkeyboard.softonic.com/mac/descargar, install the trial version and press Command + F14!!! That's it...finally i get it.

But...just for the record...i think that Microsoft Guys should develop an easier way to do it.

Reggards!!!

9. jtwolf macrumors newbie

The virtual keyboard is a solution!

Having spent 2 hours searching Google for this, I'm delighted to say this solves the problem. I still have no idea how I was able to switch on scroll lock on my Macbook Air though!

10. bkmakec macrumors newbie

A solution using PC keyboard

I plugged in a PC keyboard, and hit CTRL-SCL. The SCL key is in the same position as the F14 key on a full mac keyboard. Worked!

11. glsbell macrumors newbie

MacBook Scroll Lock

My problem was how to enable them. (I assume you all are referring to the arrow keys in lower right corner of the McBP keyboard). I went into the Keyboard control panel as someone elsewhere suggested and enabled the Fn keys. Then, in the web app I was having problem with (Facebook) -- I found that by holding down fn while using the arrows gave me ability to scroll through the page.

And in this particular dialog window I am able to scroll through the text using the arrows and no function key. I don't understand why one would want to disable them, as they don't co-function with numbers and there is no other use for them except scrolling, that I can see anyway.

FWIW :)

12. rotorb macrumors newbie

Thank you murphstein! The only answer on this whole thread that solves the problem on a free-standing Macbook.

13. dragonflyway macrumors newbie

dragonflyway

Thank you Murphstein (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scroll-lock.524751/#post-12832851)

5 Years later and luckily this url is still valid, because every key combination I have tried as suggested here or elsewhere is now assigned to some other task in Yosemite; installing this virtual keyboard is the only solution that worked for me.

Install, open and press F14 (I did not need to hit control).