Scrolling and zooming to find apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Robstevo, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Does anyone think it's going to be a tad bit hard/awkward trying to find apps on a small screen, by zooming In and out and scrolling through the tiny app icons?

On such a small screen wouldn't it have been a bit better to have simpler, larger icons that you can flip through ?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Yep, although I'm buying the watch to write apps, I do not believe the crown idea is a very ergonomic design. Also what they mentioned at the keynote about pinch to zoom obstructing your content; well no duh, that's why when you're done pinching you remove your fingers from the display. Just my .02 cents. :)

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It's hard to know exactly how much you've zoomed with a pinch-and-zoom if you can't see what you're doing. And there also isn't much room to spread your fingers. (especially on the smaller version)

4. troop231 macrumors 603

I bet pinching would be more pleasant to use than constantly turning a tiny crown in an unergonomic position (your other hand laying on top of the hand that your watch is on :) )

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Before the iPhone, people thought using the touchscreen would be difficult too. I'm sure Apple has it all figured out.

6. troop231 macrumors 603

Yes this is true. I'm sure they are refining the concept heavily these few months up til it goes on sale. If they perfect it, then I welcome a new and intuitive interface.

7. Sonmi451 Suspended

You don't have to use the scroll, it's a touch screen and you can touch which app you want to open.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Have you ever tried using two fingers on a 6th gen iPod nano? That's basically the same screen size as the smaller :apple:Watch, and using two fingers on it could hardly be considered pleasant.

9. Robstevo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I know but I'm talking about the zooming in an out action and the moving about to find the right app. On such a small screen I think it will turn out to be too much of a hassle.

10. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I suspect it will be one of those things that after a short time of using it will become very natural plus the stuff you use a lot will be easier to find.

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I don't think so. I think the crown is a great idea. From what i've read it's not cumbersome, or awkward at all. It's not really that tiny. I am going to reserve judgement until after I've had the chance to play with one. But if im choosing between "pinch to zoom" vs "twist the crown", Crown wins by a landslide. I think I would HATE using finger gestures on such a small screen.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you had larger icons, you will be flipping forever to find the app you want. The zooming in and out makes sense -- you zoom out to navigate, limiting the amount of distance you have to scroll, then zoom in to select.