Scrolling Direction?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lavrishevo, Jul 18, 2011.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Any way to reverse scrolling to the way / direction it is in SL? It's kind of funny how even the demo vids in the trackpad setting show scrolling the way it is in SL not Lion but does not give you the option to reverse it to the way I have used scrolling forever now. Any tweaks or mods to put it back to the way it was?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Preferences -> Mouse, scroll direction. or Trackpad

3. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Thanks, lol. I feel like such a retard. It did not dawn on me to uncheck it. I thought unchecking would just turn it off completely... duh...

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

No they don't. They are correct.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Does the video change for your when it is checked or unchecked. Mine shows the exact same movements. When it is checked it shows two fingers scrolling down and the window scrolls down, which is not what the computer does. My point is the scrolling comes preset to the opposite of SL when you install Lion and the demo video shows movement direction one way and the computer is doing the opposite.

6. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

I don't like iOS style scrolling outside of iOS, it's backwards if you use a scroll wheel too

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Then switch it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I agree - it makes sense using a finger, since your finger is actually moving along with the content. When using a trackpad or mouse, the content moves, but the cursor stays where is is. Just didn't make sense to me, so after a couple days trying to get used to it, I switched back.

9. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Mine shows the correct movement when checked or unchecked.

I took 2 days to get used to the natural scrolling. It's worth it, scrolling sideways between spaces/launchpad apps make much more sense, and after a while vertical scrolling just gets natural the new way.

10. macmongral macrumors member

no you are all wrong the only and correct way to alter the scrolling with a track pad is to rotate the track pad 180 degrees in a counter clockwise direction, then the scrolling will be correct , if its wrong turn a further 180 degrees :rolleyes::cool::apple:

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I made the switch as well and now I really like the natural scrolling method better. Donno why, but, to me, it just seems more natural. Can't wait to upgrade my work machine to Lion to make it so both of my machines are the same. :D

12. jasperk99 macrumors regular

I had to change it back, I don't mind the natural scrolling, but it will certainly make me nuts when I go back to my pc in my office!!!

13. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Whether you're using a scroll ball or a Magic Mouse/Trackpad, it comes down to this: are you moving the content, or are you moving the little scroll bar on the right side?

Or to put it better, is the window static and the content dynamic, or is the content static and the window dynamic?

Once you get your head around that, it's hard to undo. On my work PC machine, I find myself scrolling in the wrong direction almost every time now.

14. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I've been using lion since the GM and hated the opposite direction at first. Now I have grown to love it and every other computer I use I have to get used to going the old direction.

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Totally agree.

I'm sure that it is relatively easy to get used to the new direction but then, as you say, the problem arises when you use other computers.

Also, this may put off potential converts to Apple who are trying out a Mac and don't appreciate how easy it is to rectify what to them might seem to be a very peculiar feature.

16. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I do not see this preference under Mouse in System Preferences. Any idea why not? I've been using an old school Microsoft wireless mouse on this old Mac Pro 1,1 forever ....

17. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I just scrolled my XP machine at work the Lion way. I've been corrupted.

18. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

They are warming us up to either 10.x or 11 which will run on a MacBook Touch or something to that effect. I think the trackpad will become a screen as well in the future.

19. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You're probably right about that. However, until the trackpad does become a screen, I think I'll stick to the traditional (and in my view more natural) scrolling direction for a conventional trackpad.

20. panzer06, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Same here. Just updated one of my iMacs with MS mouse and no option to select scroll direction. What gives?

EDIT: Borrowed daughter's trackpad, paired it with my system and changed the setting under trrackpad. Then disconnected the trackpad. That is really stupid if there's no other way for desktop users who only have a mouse.

Cheers,

21. BlueIS3 macrumors newbie

I've played with natural scrolling for about a week and decided this.

I totally makes sense for left right directions. Especially when using a magic mouse on Safari.

Up down doesn't work for me. Especially since I use Windows XP all day at work.

Can you tweak the preferences for natural left/right scrolling and traditional up down scrolling?

22. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Totally agree.