Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I love the Macbook apart from the lack of ports and magsafe and HD webcam, and once I accept these problems the one problem I'm stuck with is the extremely slow scrolling in a browser like Chrome. Is there anything I can do about this? It looks like this is taxing the CPU too much so the turbo performance can't be maintained. Is there anything one can do to make it better? With PDF documents it's just horrible. My iPad has none of these problems.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I love the Macbook apart from the lack of ports and magsafe and HD webcam, and once I accept these problems the one problem I'm stuck with is the extremely slow scrolling in a browser like Chrome. Is there anything I can do about this? It looks like this is taxing the CPU too much so the turbo performance can't be maintained. Is there anything one can do to make it better? With PDF documents it's just horrible. My iPad has none of these problems.
What about using Safari? I don't have problems with safari and scrolling. Of course it could also depend on what kind of websites you visit.

sasha.danielle

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
I had this problem. Lag when scrolling web pages, documents, etc. it's not the processor it's the OS. The beta Of OS X El Capitan totally fixes this. Don't worry. If it's driving you nuts then sign up for the beta, but just be forewarned Safari is still a bit buggy and your battery life will suffer. If you can endure the lag, you can also just wait for the OS to be fully released in September.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
One thing I noticed about iTunes 12.2 was how dramatically improved scrolling was on my 15" rMBP in Album view. Well, today at the Apple store I was using a rMB and scrolled through iTunes and it was very jerky. Since the software runs so well on mine, I assume it comes down to the Core M vs Iris Pro. I think it needs another generation or two.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I had this problem. Lag when scrolling web pages, documents, etc. it's not the processor it's the OS. The beta Of OS X El Capitan totally fixes this. Don't worry. If it's driving you nuts then sign up for the beta, but just be forewarned Safari is still a bit buggy and your battery life will suffer. If you can endure the lag, you can also just wait for the OS to be fully released in September.

Hmm, I'm on the same version of Yosemite on my rMBP and don't have this problem. Are you saying El Capitan addresses some of the specific shortcomings of the rMB?

sasha.danielle

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
For me it did. The lag was driving me crazy. I was ready to either return the machine or try a 1.3 (I have a 1.1). I wasn't using Chrome, but saw the lag in Safari and Pages especially, but essentially, anywhere I might be scrolling. It was worse in non-Apple apps like MS Office. I wanted to try El Capitan before my window to return the machine ran up, so I tried the Beta. After a day of re-indexing it solved almost all of my issues. I no longer have any lag scrolling webpages and almost every other app. I still see a very slight stutter when swiping between workspaces, and a little bit in Pages if I have it in Fullscreen and the texted stretched to fit the width of the page. There is no lag viewing documents under normal views. Most people don't work in the view I do, I know, but I prefer to work with only my text visible.

Reactions: Jetcat3

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Yes, rMB seems to really expose some of the poorly optimized rendering code in Yosemite. It's a shame too since things like PDFs (in Preview) used to be blazingly fast on Mac OS X. It's definitely OS-related, since Windows 7 running in VMware is very fast for things like PDF rendering and website scrolling, so processor can definitely handle it if decently optimized. Good to hear from others that El Capitan has improved this.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
No scrolling problems here (though I don't use Chrome, but all the programs I do use scroll just fine).

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Scrolling mostly lags in gmail (not too bad) and longer Preview with PDFs (even text-only PDFs, but badly) for me.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
The PDF rendering engine has been broken in OS X for sometime, try opening the same PDF`s in "Quick View" or download Skim, you will find that PDF`s scroll perfectly.

Q-6

Yes, quick view itself is fast with scrolling a pdf. Last time I used OS X full-time was back in Snow Leopard, so was surprised how much PDF rendering took a step back. It's been very solid Snow Leopard and prior as much I can remember- I assume from its NeXTSTEP roots which featured native post-script rendering.

Btw, completely OT but what SS2 mods do you recommend? I have the gog version that I've been meaning to play for quite some time. Also, got the Logitech Anywhere MX 2 mouse earlier this week and it is working great with the rMB over bluetooth.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yes, quick view itself is fast with scrolling a pdf. Last time I used OS X full-time was back in Snow Leopard, so was surprised how much PDF rendering took a step back. It's been very solid Snow Leopard and prior as much I can remember- I assume from its NeXTSTEP roots which featured native post-script rendering.

Btw, completely OT but what SS2 mods do you recommend? I have the gog version that I've been meaning to play for quite some time. Also, got the Logitech Anywhere MX 2 mouse earlier this week and it is working great with the rMB over bluetooth.

Ok let`s go here

Q-6

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I would avoid chrome. I'm using Safari with no lag issues. I'm also using 1152 x 720 scaled resolution which helps.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
System Preferences~Accessibility~Trackpad Options~Scrolling Speed ---> Fast. Scrolling - with inertia

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Its not a solution to exchange one set of issues for another. Beta software is not a fix for anything. It is not far enough along to risk your data.

neurodave

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
Safari runs fine for me. I haven't bothered with Chrome because it is not the best on OS X as it is. It also kills the battery life substantially. Also, I wouldn't go with El Capitan, the battery life is atrocious. Some websites are a bigger hit than others, and maybe reducing transparency in OS X can help.

sasha.danielle

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
Its not a solution to exchange one set of issues for another. Beta software is not a fix for anything. It is not far enough along to risk your data.

I have a brand new machine and all my data is in the cloud. And I was willing to return the machine if I didn't see El Capitan address my issues. No risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.