Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
Just bought new iMac 5K (3,3GHz with m395 GPU, 32GB RAM) and scrolling is in most application choppy. For example on Macrumours.com scrolling is far from smooth until complete load (approx 20 FPS)...once load its approx 35-40 FPS.

I experience the scrolling issues with Firefox and Chrome. Safari quite OK (but I do not use that browser).

I am willing to update CPU (to i7@4GHz) or GPU (to m395X). What to pick? Shall it fix my issues?

ps: I do not experience this on my previous nonRetina iMac :-(

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Sounds more like an Internet problem than a computer problem, for I can't imagine two out of three browsers doing that. What I would do if I were you is see what settings Safari is using and compare it to the other two browsers (You'll probably have to check the advanced settings). Maybe there are plugins that is making the two load longer or maybe a cache problem?

pete2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks Strider64 ..but it is really the issue with app/cpu/gpu. Scrolling thumbnails in GraphicConverter9 is also approx. 35fps (I use Apple QuartzDebug tool to see FPS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.