Scrolling moves display more than mouse? Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skald, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Skald macrumors member

Skald

My wife's cat walked over her Macbook keyboard. Thereafter, when she uses the trackpad to try to move the cursor, the display moves in response, and the cursor sometimes moves, stutters, delays. Usually, both move.

So my guess is the cat hit some odd combination of keys changing some preference.

We could not find anything in System Preferences/trackpad, or searching the forums here (not that i know which words to use).

Any suggestions, please?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Just to be sure (I'm not supposing you're dumb, I jsut want to get this out of the way)... you do know that using two fingers scrolls, and using one moves the cursor?

3. Skald thread starter macrumors member

Skald

Thanks for that quick response. (No need to apologize for allowing that I might be dumb, as I often am).

Even one finger scrolling moves the display (and the cursor). After you replied, I checked: two fingers do not move anything.

BTW, hers is a MacBook, not pro . . . I posted this in the wrong forum (dumb!).

Since the display can only scroll so far (as if a little bit of the desktop image was hidden under each side) I wonder if the cat did not somehow enlarge the image.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sounds like the cat somehow enabled zooming. To turn it off hold ctrl+two finger scroll out or towards you, not the display. Alternatively, you can go to System Preferences > Universal Access > Zoom: Off

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

There it goes! I have a solution.

Press the ctrl button and scroll (using two fingers). One way will zoom in and the other will zoom out. Once fully zoomed out, the problem should stop. I think there is also a system pref for this, but it is faster on the keyboard.

EDIT: Argh, didn't type fast enough :p

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

It sounds like your zoomed in on your display. When you hold control and scroll up on the trackpad or a mouse, it zooms in on the display, and then as you move the cursor, it will shift the display. To fix it, if thats the problem, hold control, and two finger scroll down.

Edit: wow, 3 people posting the same solution at the same time. That's awesome.

7. Skald thread starter macrumors member

Skald

My wife blows kisses to you all . . . it was a zoom. Thank you for these helpful and fast responses.

I will admonish the cat later, gently.