Scrolling on iPad 3 has wobble/wave effect

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bamdion, Apr 28, 2012.

1. bamdion macrumors newbie

I recently bought the new iPad (3rd generation) and noticed that while scrolling web pages the images appear to wobble or have a wave effect to them. I never noticed this on my iPad 2 . Does anyone else experience this?

2. mcdj, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I've noticed it as well, but never noticed it on the iPad 2. It can be pretty annoying.

Some say it does it on the 2 as well, just not as much. It's probably more noticeable on the 3 because of the increased amount of pixels.

What you are seeing is the inability of the LCD to draw the screen as fast as the graphics chip can feed it data.

3. rz-jacks macrumors member

Yeah all of them do it. Not something you should worry about. I wonder if it's something that can be fixed with an update

4. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about. Can you clarify? I'm trying to replicate this on my iPad 3, but can't. Looks just like my iPad 2 when scrolling.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

it's mostly apparent on text. touch the screen, the scroll up and down a little without taking your finger off the screen. sort of wag your finger up and down like you were rubbing a spot off.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Hmmm, odd. I'm not seeing this effect either on my new iPad ...

7. bamdion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Good to know its normal, I guess:/ for me it is very noticeable on images. If you do a google image search and scroll, you should see what I mean.

8. rz-jacks macrumors member

It's hard to tell, the most noticeable is on the AppStore. Open the AppStore, click on top charts, then scroll up and down and you'll see a slight wave effect. There's also a video on YouTube but I can't find it right now

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

10. xraytech macrumors 68030

Hmmm... I don't see it and I'm trying really hard to see it.

----------

Again, I'm trying really hard to replicate what the OP is describing. And I don't see it.

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Looks like a screen refresh thing to me. I just think the screen doesn't refresh fast enough, so you actually see it updating as you scroll, which causes the "stuttering" effect.. It's very subtle though.

12. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Mine does this when scrolling in Pulse, one of my favorite news aggregator apps. I thought maybe it was a problem with the app. I was describing it as stuttering and posted about it in an early iPad 3 thread but got no response.

13. WilliamG macrumors G3

All iOS devices do this. iPhones in landscape, iPads in portrait.

14. NewtonApple macrumors member

Using this forum in landscape mode I can not replicate this problem. My screen will not scroll sideways and will only go perfectly up and down when I move my finger.

Maybe this will happen on a web page where you "could" scroll in all directions.

15. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

Weird, I cannot replicate the problem either. Or I simply do not know, what to look for.

Since we have both iPads (2nd and 3rd generation), I compared them side by side. I did not notice anything out of the usual when scrolling on both machines.

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yep, I still can't replicate the issue and I'm trying like my mad. Was that the point OP? :p

17. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I get this on the iPad 2 when flipping through large images in the photos app, I've never noticed it anywhere else and I thought I was just imagining it until now :p

18. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I get this as well. It's likely just the display being updated in scan lines instead of all-at-once. With more pixels to update it becomes more evident that display updates aren't instant flips in the hardware.

(further: in software, the display is updated at once - vsync and all - but the hardware might not be as agile or employ a different strategy. Like recording video on a DSLR: it wobbles because the sensor reads pixels each scan line at once)

19. bamdion thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol..No, if you can't see it then good. I wish I didn't. It happens to me in portrait and landscape. Apparently I'm not the only one though. Chris Pirillo even noticed it. According to him it's because vertical sync is not on, on the iPad 3.

https://plus.google.com/107234826207633309420/posts/MV9bPD1hhfC

20. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Some people won't notice it because it's too subtle and some people don't have the trained eye to notice higher-fps visual artifacts. (like perceiving 60fps vs 30fps)
    Vsync is definitely on on the iPad 3. Vsync off causes tearing, not wobble. The effect is quite different in the end.

21. thelead macrumors 6502

22. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I really don't know why it's being discussed as a problem. It's something I saw on my iPad 1 as well but was. Completely inconsequential. If some are sensitive to the effect,then just don't focus on the screen too closely when scrolling. You can't read while the screen is scrolling anyway (at least I can't).

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

2 people have said it only happens in portrait and no one said it's a problem. Reading is fundamental.

24. NewtonApple macrumors member

One of the "two" was you and that does not count:eek:

No reason for your usual "crude reply". If it is ment to run this "newbie" off, it will not work. :p

25. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I have no interest in running newbies off. I do have an interest in seeing people use their brains to the fullest.