Scrolling on iPad 3 has wobble/wave effect

bamdion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I recently bought the new iPad (3rd generation) and noticed that while scrolling web pages the images appear to wobble or have a wave effect to them. I never noticed this on my iPad 2 . Does anyone else experience this?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I've noticed it as well, but never noticed it on the iPad 2. It can be pretty annoying.

Some say it does it on the 2 as well, just not as much. It's probably more noticeable on the 3 because of the increased amount of pixels.

What you are seeing is the inability of the LCD to draw the screen as fast as the graphics chip can feed it data.

Last edited:

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about. Can you clarify? I'm trying to replicate this on my iPad 3, but can't. Looks just like my iPad 2 when scrolling.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about. Can you clarify? I'm trying to replicate this on my iPad 3, but can't. Looks just like my iPad 2 when scrolling.
it's mostly apparent on text. touch the screen, the scroll up and down a little without taking your finger off the screen. sort of wag your finger up and down like you were rubbing a spot off.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
it's mostly apparent on text. touch the screen, the scroll up and down a little without taking your finger off the screen. sort of wag your finger up and down like you were rubbing a spot off.
Hmmm, odd. I'm not seeing this effect either on my new iPad ...

bamdion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Good to know its normal, I guess:/ for me it is very noticeable on images. If you do a google image search and scroll, you should see what I mean.

rz-jacks

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
West Lafayette IN
It's hard to tell, the most noticeable is on the AppStore. Open the AppStore, click on top charts, then scroll up and down and you'll see a slight wave effect. There's also a video on YouTube but I can't find it right now

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I recently bought the new iPad (3rd generation) and noticed that while scrolling web pages the images appear to wobble or have a wave effect to them. I never noticed this on my iPad 2 . Does anyone else experience this?
Hmmm... I don't see it and I'm trying really hard to see it.

----------

It only happens for me in portrait mode.
Again, I'm trying really hard to replicate what the OP is describing. And I don't see it.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Looks like a screen refresh thing to me. I just think the screen doesn't refresh fast enough, so you actually see it updating as you scroll, which causes the "stuttering" effect.. It's very subtle though.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Mine does this when scrolling in Pulse, one of my favorite news aggregator apps. I thought maybe it was a problem with the app. I was describing it as stuttering and posted about it in an early iPad 3 thread but got no response.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
Using this forum in landscape mode I can not replicate this problem. My screen will not scroll sideways and will only go perfectly up and down when I move my finger.

Maybe this will happen on a web page where you "could" scroll in all directions.

Coltaine

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2012
Weird, I cannot replicate the problem either. Or I simply do not know, what to look for.

Since we have both iPads (2nd and 3rd generation), I compared them side by side. I did not notice anything out of the usual when scrolling on both machines.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I get this on the iPad 2 when flipping through large images in the photos app, I've never noticed it anywhere else and I thought I was just imagining it until now :p

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I get this as well. It's likely just the display being updated in scan lines instead of all-at-once. With more pixels to update it becomes more evident that display updates aren't instant flips in the hardware.

(further: in software, the display is updated at once - vsync and all - but the hardware might not be as agile or employ a different strategy. Like recording video on a DSLR: it wobbles because the sensor reads pixels each scan line at once)

bamdion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Lol..No, if you can't see it then good. I wish I didn't. It happens to me in portrait and landscape. Apparently I'm not the only one though. Chris Pirillo even noticed it. According to him it's because vertical sync is not on, on the iPad 3.

https://plus.google.com/107234826207633309420/posts/MV9bPD1hhfC
Some people won't notice it because it's too subtle and some people don't have the trained eye to notice higher-fps visual artifacts. (like perceiving 60fps vs 30fps)
Vsync is definitely on on the iPad 3. Vsync off causes tearing, not wobble. The effect is quite different in the end.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I really don't know why it's being discussed as a problem. It's something I saw on my iPad 1 as well but was. Completely inconsequential. If some are sensitive to the effect,then just don't focus on the screen too closely when scrolling. You can't read while the screen is scrolling anyway (at least I can't).

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Using this forum in landscape mode I can not replicate this problem. My screen will not scroll sideways and will only go perfectly up and down when I move my finger.

Maybe this will happen on a web page where you "could" scroll in all directions.
2 people have said it only happens in portrait and no one said it's a problem. Reading is fundamental.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
2 people have said it only happens in portrait and no one said it's a problem. Reading is fundamental.
One of the "two" was you and that does not count:eek:

No reason for your usual "crude reply". If it is ment to run this "newbie" off, it will not work. :p

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
One of the "two" was you and that does not count:eek:

No reason for your usual "crude reply". If it is ment to run this "newbie" off, it will not work. :p
I have no interest in running newbies off. I do have an interest in seeing people use their brains to the fullest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.