Scrolling performance on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yalag, Sep 5, 2012.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Does anyone else notice that the scrolling performance in Safari for rMBP is not that great? I've read a few threads and saw a few videos here. Mine isn't quite as bad as those, but it does feel choppy especially during the deceleration of the inertia scroll.

Anyone else experience this? And know of a fix?

In fact, I compared it to my iMac and it definitely feels smoother.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Eh, it's not as good as my older MacBook but who could care? I scroll a page to get to content, not for the animation.

Btw it will require a software update from Apple, because it isn't a hardware problem. Scrolling is fine in Windows.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

scrolling is pretty piss poor on the RMBP, especially on pages with a lot of images. thats just how it is.

----------

scrolling is 'fine in windows' because its not doing any retina display scaling. duh.

4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Smooth as butter right here, but I use 'best for retina'.

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok I just want to make sure it's not my problem or something I screwed up with the machine. This is a generally known issue?

6. bill-p macrumors 68000

Well, it's a known issue.

Not because of the hardware, though.

I have to do more tests to conclude this, but basically, Safari 6 has some rendering bugs with certain layouts on some websites that cause graphical glitches (happens on all Mac) and performance degradation (happens specifically on the rMBP due to the scaling method).

Preview, Xcode, Finder, etc... don't suffer from this "lag".

I think Apple still has a few more kinks to work out in software on the rMBP. Mountain Lion still has a few small rendering glitches that I can see. Most likely, they just pushed it out to stay on schedule. Once Mountain Lion is perfect on the rMBP, maybe they'll start pushing out Retina Display on other Macs with lesser hardware (cuing a 13" rMBP here).