Scrolling "stalls" in Word 2004...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by check0mark, Sep 25, 2007.

1. check0mark macrumors newbie

I'm having problems scrolling in Word 2004.

I can scroll just fine up and down with the mouse wheel or with two-finger scrolling for a short while, but then the screen stalls in place, not moving until the mouse is clicked, followed by frantic scrolling up-and-down as the program "catches up" to the clicked location...

Updating Word with the latest patches from Microsoft (now updated to Version 11.3.5) has not helped.

A similar post originally suggested it may be a problem with Mighty Mouse:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=357593

However the same problematic behavior happens both with Mighty Mouse on my mac pro, and also when two-finger scrolling with my MacBook Pro. Both machines are currently running OS X 10.4.10, but this has been happening for a while (i.e., prior to recent OS updates).

Any thoughts on what might be the cause?

Thanks.

2. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I can't add any insight to the scrolling issue, but the updates for Office 2004 are up to 11.3.7 now.

I've always noticed that scrolling was a bit funky on Word too, but I think it's probably just because it's not a UB app yet.

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

having used Word 2004 for a few years (including G4 and G5 as well as Intel), often with large complex documents, my guess is.... Rosetta

I can't wait for Office 2008 (although if it were not for a few specific needs, I would be using Pages all the time).

4. WillInAus macrumors newbie

I have this exact same problem. Scrolling works fine for a bit, then all of a sudden the page freezes, nothing scrolls, until you click and the document catches up to all the scrolling you just tried to do while it was frozen. I have tried a reinstall of Word 2004, but it's still the same. This is one of the most annoying things in the world!!

If anyone could help, it would be awesome....

5. soctechnologist macrumors member

I just installed Word 2004 and have the same scrolling problem (I also had the problem in my trial version as well). Anyone found any solutions for this bug. It's super annoying!

Edited to add: I've done the updates up to the current 11.4.0 and still have the problem...

6. IainD macrumors newbie

Try disabling Cite While you Write (Endnote)

This very annoying scrolling behavior in Word 2004 may be related to the Endnote feature "Cite While you Write".

I disabled this feature (I don't like the way it stalls my computer anyway) and found that the scrolling problem disappeared. I believe the preference of using cite while you write applies to new documents and stays with them even if you disable this preference in endnote or word. To get rid of this feature in an existing file, I had to uncheck the preference box and then unformat citations in the word file and reformat them again. I also noticed that endnote stalled on the reformatting and for some strange reason would resume if I just clicked the mouse (?).

I am using office 2004 (update 11.4.1) and Endnote X.0.2 bld 2007

7. ace75 macrumors newbie

Scrolling lag in Word 2004

I have only had this problem when I use the USB mouse, but when I use the bluetooth (wireless) mouse there's no problem--very mysterious.