scrolling through IMAP folders in mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jive turkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm sure this is something really basic but I can't get it. How do I cycle through IMAP mail folders in mail.app without using the mouse? I have tried using the arrow keys; control-arrow; option-arrow; command-arrow; letters; numbers; and a few other things, but all I get is the horn sound telling me I am trying something that isn't allowed.

Thank you for helping me with such a simple task.

2. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Hit tab until the highlighted folder turns blue (i think you need to hit tab 3 times)

Might be an easier way...i dont really use the mail app

3. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Are you sure that mail is the active window. I've just tried using the arrow keys in every window but i never get the horn thing. It just moves the highlight up and down, or the message window or does nothing if the seach bar is selected

4. jive turkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses, guys. I am sure that mail.app is the front window. I think the horn was blowing because I was trying this with empty folders, so the arrow key usage had me trying to scroll through messages when there were none there.

The tab solution works (but in many more clicks for me). If I use the tab button to highlight my IMAP folders, I can scroll using the arrow keys. On the other hand, once I'm inside a folder and wish to scroll using the arrow keys from there I can't because I can't get the active highlight out of the message list and back to the folder list without going the tab x 8 route.

Tab will work. I will remove some of the buttons at the top so I can access the folders in fewer clicks. I was hoping I'd be able to go from the message list back to the folder list quickly, a la Thunderbird, but the tab method will do the job.

Thanks for your help!

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

6. jive turkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, now I must be losing all function of my brain cells because I PROMISE you that I tried that yesterday, knowing that Shift-Tab usually makes things cycle in reverse. I don't know, maybe my fat finger was hitting the cap lock key instead, because today shift-tab is doing the trick.

Problem solved. I'm not crazy. I promise. :eek:

Thanks for your assistance.