Scrolling through large video library still sucks!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by FrancoRumors, Mar 30, 2016.

1. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

I wish apple would implement a double click feature that let you scroll by letters of the alphabet instead of individual movies... or some other solution. Right? it is apple tv offersannoying enough that Siri and search most of what the ATV offers..

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Use playlists. (Set the Apple TV to display all the playlists, not just the music ones.)

Use iTunes to create a Smart Playlist and tell it to include movies beginning with "A". Then, create another one for movies beginning with "B".

FWIW, that's a pet peeve of mine as well, but have found that by using playlists, I can force the Apple TV to display my library in practically any fashion that works for me. The above mentioned "A", "B" tip is just one way you can use playlists.

For TV shows, I have playlists that separate them all by seasons, inside a playlist folder for the show. The added bonus of using playlists for TV shows is that it will automatically play the next episode in a season for you.

3. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Thanks. That's one way I hadn't considered for movies. It involves a little leg work but no biggie.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yeah, it was a huge pain in the butt to get all the playlists created in my library. Thankfully, only had to do it once. I got my iTunes library (just the database portion that contains all the playlist info) backed up to 2 places now too, mainly because I'd hate to have to create them all over again.

5. 2010mini macrumors 68040

6. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That would be nice. For now, if I want that view, I can use the Plex app, but that only applies to movies and TV shows without iTunes DRM. Thankfully, the ripped video in my library vastly outnumbers the iTunes media, so it could be worse, but it would be ideal if poster view was available via stock Apple TV software.

8. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

That helps sometimes but not all of the movies in my library are tagged right... I use a script that sometimes makes an error or sometimes can't find the right tag.

9. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Can you retag them correctly?

10. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Yes, to answer your question: it is possible...but that still doesn't solve the crappy scrolling on the newest apple tv...?

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Your best AppleTV Remote still is either your iPhone or iPad.

12. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I disagree. I love the Siri remote. I've said it before: if my 6yo could master using the remote after I showed her once.... What's your excuse?

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

You are right, I forgot that you can now dictate your searches.
    I haven't really used any of the new features since the update came out.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It would be nice to be able to change the file data to create new sort categories. Drives me nuts that my Bond collection is all over the place and that multi sequel films are out of sequence.

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I have the whole Bond collection as well, and that was another pet peeve. I ended up removing them all from my library and using a third-party app fill in the "Sort as" field with "James Bond 01", "James Bond 02", etc. Then I re-added to the iTunes library.

I tried setting the "Sort as" field within iTunes, but for some reason the value was never saved or it would get cleared shortly after (a suspected bug within iTunes.) So, I went with the third-party app, which worked.

For Apple TV, I created a James Bond playlist. (Just a regular playlist, not a smart one.) I put them all in there in the "proper" play order, and just use the playlist on the Apple TV. I've been using playlists with the Apple TV since the first one I got (a gen 2 ATV). I'm so used to just using playlists for most media now that I'll probably miss anything they add going forward that fixes the root cause for me using them to begin with. Pretty set in my ways now, I guess.

16. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

+1 Playlists are your friends. :)