Scrub MacBook before returning ...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sammy2066, Oct 28, 2008.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Like the title says, my aluminum MacBook is going back. How do I scrub off my private information in it? Is there a way to restore Leopard?

Thanks!

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Boot off of your OS disk that came with your MacBook, open disk utility from the Apple Menu (upper menu) and securely erase data. 7 or 14 pass depending on how much time you have .

[​IMG]

3. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very nice! I'll do it tonight. It goes back tomorrow.

4. molala macrumors 6502a

I'm returning a Macbook too (refurb whitebook, got it replaced with a refurb blackbook) and doing a zero-level format (1 pass). Is this not sufficient?

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That "should" be all you need to do. The multi-pass is just a recommendation if you are worried about someone doing forensics to get data back from your system. Chances of someone doing this, and being successful (especially after loading an OS) are slim, but you never know!

[​IMG]

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Why are you returning the Albook?

7. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The screen was a deal breaker.

8. molala macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick answer. I think I'll be ok.

9. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I take the restocking fee as the usage cost for a week. I'm glad I'll get the remaining 90% back.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's a good way of looking at it. :) Very mild-mannered of you.
    Single pass is fine. How much stuff did you have on it? I just had web, address book, mail stuff on it. It was all scrubbed before I returned mine.

11. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I deleted my keychain, reset Safari, deleted my downloads. I barely had it for a week. I just admired it most of the time, rather than do any real work on it. :p

On a separate note, I have the option of getting a replacement, but we all know the screen is going to be equally bad, if not worse than the one I returned. I might pick up a MBP over thanksgiving break, I just need to convince my dad. ;)

12. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

If you do the 35-pass erase option, prepare to return it in 2 or 3 days.

7-pass erase is enough by Department of Defense standards. Even more secure if you have FileVault turned on and use 7-pass erase (don't turn FileVault on just before erasing it though as it takes a while to set up FileVault).

13. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Unless you have highly classified U.S Military secrets on it, the 1 pass is fully sufficient...

14. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I recommended a 7 to 14 pass erase depending on the time he had. Not sure why you replied to me with your comment regarding the 35 pass erase.

[​IMG]

15. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I don't think 14 is an option anymore. I think Disk Utility only allows 7 and 35. Maybe I'm wrong? Just did it two days ago to clear off a black MacBook. Didn't notice the 14 pass option.

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification / correction.

Don't have my MacBook in front of me now, so I guess I am not 100% sure of the options either. I haven't used Disk Utility for that in a few months to be honest.

[​IMG]

17. Tummy macrumors regular

I simply made a new user account with Admin permissions, logged off my primary account, logged into the new one, then deleted my old one. I don't care about the apps I installed since the data is in the user folder.