Scuba case for iPhone (TAT7 or similar)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by velascarlos, Feb 13, 2013.

1. velascarlos macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2008
    Spain, EU
    Hi, does anyone have tried any of the scuba cases for iPhone?

I need a scuba case for iPhone 5 and I was wondering if any of you have tried the TAT7 case on the iPhone 4 and can share your experience here.

It seems they are developing a case for iPhone 5.

If any of you know any other options available on the market I will highly appreciate your advice. I need a really waterproof case for scuba diving (around 10-20 meters) and not a waterproof 2m case like lifeproof or similars.

Thanks in advance.
  2. koa macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2005
    I can't help much on a case but I do wonder how good the pics or video will be at 30 to 60 ft. The iPhone doesn't have the best low light ability to begin with and not much of a flash so don't expect great results. I think less than 10' in clear water and you should get some pretty good colors.

The other thing is there room for moisture absorbing pouches? Is condensation a problem inside these cases?

I've only done a bit of underwater photography with a Nikonos I a long time ago. I do have a friend that has spent 10s of thousands on gear and LIGHTING to get good results.

I dive for a living so have spent quite a bit of my life underwater and the colors wash out pretty quickly the deeper you go.

Another friend has an Olympus P&S waterproof digital camera and it takes pretty good pics. Something like this one:

You can even add a case for deeper depths and the nice thing about that is if the case leaks you have a camera that's waterproof so no damage and they are designed not to leak and you have some warranty coverage if they do. The TAT7 won't do anything for a damaged phone. Also always buy this stuff with a charge card that doubles the warranty or at least extends it for a year. Most card have the feature but you might have to call the company to activate it.

For just casual protection for an iPhone you need to have with you on a boat the TAT7 seems fine. Still be careful leaving it in the sun.