"scuff/small scratch" in middle of screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WillJS, Mar 31, 2008.

1. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I have what appears to be a scratch on the screen if my iPhone. I only keep it my pockets by itself so I have no clue as to how it got there. Buffing with iKlear until my fingers bled didn't solve it. It isn't very deep, but when I run my nail over it I can feel it. Can anyone reccommend any *safe* scratch remover product? maybe sending it into apple would be a viable option?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

That sucks dude.:(

Can you see the scratch when the iPhone is on, or only when it is off?

How about posting a pic of the injured iPhone?

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

when I scratched mine, I went and got some really fine 220 grit sandpaper and sanded down the rest of the glass until it was even with the deepest part of the scratch. It worked great, no more scratch, try that.

p.s. April Fools!

4. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Harsh...Very Harsh.

5. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

Will do when I get home. Posting on the victim :(

Darn it. I was seriously considering that, then I said no way, and then I saw your last line. :D touché good sir, touché. (did I say that correctly?)

6. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Right in the middle....bummer.

Can you see the scratch when you are using your iPhone, ie. when the screen is on?

8. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

I can notice a line there, like there is a streak something like water distorting the screen. It isn't sell and buy new bad, but it's rather annoying for a person like myself. :(

9. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Arghh

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 8GB IPOD TOUCH

10. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

I wonder how much it would cost to send it in to Apple and get the screen replaced?

11. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

Unfortunately, probably an arm and a leg.:(

12. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

^^ wait and have then replace the screen at the same time you need a new battery. MIght be cheaper overall than 2 separate replacements

13. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

That's a great long-term solution, however, I would also like to solutions for a short-term solution (like some kind of scratch remover for the iPhone if a quality exists).

14. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

you can't remove the scratch, but you can fill it. you need to go to a shop where they make/repair eyeglasses and see what sort of epoxy they recommend.

15. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

Excellent. The iPhone uses a glass screen, right? I guess that's what I'd tell them. Anything specific I should mention?

16. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

yes, the screen is covered in "optical quality" glass. You probably just want the eyeglass shop to repair it as if it were a scratched lens. I'd tell them that there is a capacitance-based touch recognition system underlying the glass just so that they know to be more careful than normal. Let me know if it works out. I have a similar scratch on my Touch.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've used the solution on my glasses and it seems to do the trick quite well. I haven't had a scratch as deep as yours, but KMA (Keep me advised). Sorry to see that scratch! :(

18. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

I will try this, guess I'm not trying Wall*Mart! :D

I'm going to try FJ218700's suggestion, will let you guys know how it works out. :)

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've used Swipes Lens CPR, on my plastic and glass glasses. "Instantly removes surface scratches, from prescription glasses, sunglasses, work goggles and watch crystals. Cleaning solution: Prepares Surface and Treatment solution: Fill Scratches and Seals." (information on the box)

Though it tends to streak, if you put too much of the Treatment Solution on the area at one time. If that happens, run a clean cloth under the faucet with hot water running, then wipe the area until the Treatment Solution is removed, then apply the Cleaning Solution again, dry the area, then apply the Treatment Solution again. Polish the area with the Polishing Cloth when the area is dry. I've purchased this item at WalGreens.

Hope this helps,
    :cool: