Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello everyone.
I purchased a macbook pro 16" in early November and it has finally been delivered.

The computer seems to work fine, however I noticed there are a few scuffs on the chassis.
These are incredibly minute, however it is very annoying at this price.
I just wanted to know if this happened to any of you as well or if I have been incredibly unlucky, as always.

I need the computer to work, so I cannot send it back and wait for an other 50 days to get a replacement.

Cheers.

Attachments

• B577F690-14EB-4DBC-8C28-E1738C14574D.jpeg
    B577F690-14EB-4DBC-8C28-E1738C14574D.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 314
  • 143167EA-0EE0-48FC-B8F5-2CB7CD7E95A6.jpeg
    143167EA-0EE0-48FC-B8F5-2CB7CD7E95A6.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 8BF731C0-D94C-4363-BC38-DBF9CEBCAAC4.jpeg
    8BF731C0-D94C-4363-BC38-DBF9CEBCAAC4.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Wow
Reactions: mca19

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
There’s been some posts of folks with some minor issues out of the box. I’m assuming by the quantity and severity these were perhaps not a manufacturing defect but something that happened during normal usage?

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
There’s been some posts of folks with some minor issues out of the box. I’m assuming by the quantity and severity these were perhaps not a manufacturing defect but something that happened during normal usage?
It cannot be normal usage as I just unboxed it.
I think the marks were caused by some dust in the air (perhaps in the assembly line), as the 2 worst marks actually came out by rubbing gently with a pencil eraser.
Thankfully, as I couldn't stand that grey mark on the lid.

Reactions: mca19 and johnalan

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
That one is kinda scuffed up. Actually quite noticeable.
They shouldn't have let it out the door that way.
You can return it... or keep it... your choice.

Seems like in the rush to get products out the door (and into the shipping chain), quality control has slipped a notch at Apple's production facilities. Perhaps they're experiencing labor shortages as well, due to the covid-emic.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
That one is kinda scuffed up. Actually quite noticeable.
They shouldn't have let it out the door that way.
You can return it... or keep it... your choice.

Seems like in the rush to get products out the door (and into the shipping chain), quality control has slipped a notch at Apple's production facilities. Perhaps they're experiencing labor shortages as well, due to the covid-emic.
The 2 grey marks came out very easily with an eraser, so it was not the surface itself damaged.
The third one is almost completely invisible.
The computer seems to work fine with regards to the rest, so I'll keep it.
I cannot afford to wait 2 months, anyway.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hello everyone.
I purchased a macbook pro 16" in early November and it has finally been delivered.

The computer seems to work fine, however I noticed there are a few scuffs on the chassis.
These are incredibly minute, however it is very annoying at this price.
I just wanted to know if this happened to any of you as well or if I have been incredibly unlucky, as always.

I need the computer to work, so I cannot send it back and wait for an other 50 days to get a replacement.

Cheers.
I recently got a 2021 MBP 14" Space Gray, it has kind of similar things on the edges. I saw them once I got it out of the box.
However they are extremely un-noticeable, hence I did not pay attention to it.

In comparison, yours are worse than mine. If mine is 20%, yours are 70%, so to say.
If you want, you can return the computer to get a new one, or just keep it as it is.
But I have no idea if they are a production issue or not.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I recently got a 2021 MBP 14" Space Gray, it has kind of similar things on the edges. I saw them once I got it out of the box.
However they are extremely un-noticeable, hence I did not pay attention to it.

In comparison, yours are worse than mine. If mine is 20%, yours are 70%, so to say.
If you want, you can return the computer to get a new one, or just keep it as it is.
But I have no idea if they are a production issue or not.
Well, 2 of them actually came out by rubbing gently with an eraser.
Only the least visible remained.
I'd return it but I have lots of work lined uo for the next month and I can't afford to do a new order.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Well, 2 of them actually came out by rubbing gently with an eraser.
Only the least visible remained.
I'd return it but I have lots of work lined uo for the next month and I can't afford to do a new order.
Just leave them then, not a big deal I think.
Maybe there exists a solution one day. Now I have similar ones, but I do not pay attention too much.
The work is more important now for both of us ☺️

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Just leave them then, not a big deal I think.
Maybe there exists a solution one day. Now I have similar ones, but I do not pay attention too much.
The work is more important now for both of us ☺️
Agreed.
That doesn't change the fact that, as a loyal apple user, I'm a bit disappointed, especially considering I spent 5K on the machine.

Reactions: polee

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Agreed.
That doesn't change the fact that, as a loyal apple user, I'm a bit disappointed, especially considering I spent 5K on the machine.
I definitely agree, we would not expect even this kind of small issues.
I always love the feeling that a new Apple device gives me while opening, no scratch, no issue, no fingerprint etc. Just me and the device. However, overall I think it is still acceptable to use it as it is. It is especially because the aforementioned scratch issue is on a place, where you do not see daily. Hence, just focus on the work. Leave it for now.

By the way, I am also a bit disappointed as well, but trying to pay no attention ??

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Why not just return it. It is not normal, you know it. It is disappointing, but accept the fact that there could be defective units in any commodity. What did you expect from starting this thread, instructions on how to return it? Sorry but other than sharing the fact that you got a defective unit, I don't see a point in your post. If you can't wait for a replacement unit, then you live with it. You state the obvious that it is defective, then you point you are not willing to replace it. What help do you need?

Reactions: greenmeanie

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Why not just return it. It is not normal, you know it. It is disappointing, but accept the fact that there could be defective units in any commodity. What did you expect from starting this thread, instructions on how to return it? Sorry but other than sharing the fact that you got a defective unit, I don't see a point in your post. If you can't wait for a replacement unit, then you live with it. You state the obvious that it is defective, then you point you are not willing to replace it. What help do you need?
I wanted to know if something like this happened to anyone else in the forum, perhaps to gain some consolation and learn the perspective of other users.
I'm sorry my thread annoyed you this much.

Reactions: vddobrev

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Keep calm, please. He just asked "am I the only one?"
So we just share our experiences and ideas, keep this in mind please.

I noticed similar minor things on my computer as well, so I just shared, that is all. No need to talk more.

I wanted to know if something like this happened to anyone else in the forum, perhaps to gain some consolation and learn the perspective of other users.
Do not pay attention to that comment, please. I can not understand this kind of comments as well. But no worries, there are lots of respectful user ready to help each other.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
No harm done;
I understand a post like mine is perhaps "superfluous", however I still think there's space for it on this forum.
No harm done, anyway :)

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Not at all, did not annoy me, just return it, don't settle for subpar quality. That's what I meant, you know what to do just do it. You can miss the machine for some time while it is in returns, but don't just settle for inferior quality.

Edit: sorry if my original post seemed harsh, but all I meant was for you to just do what you know already - exchange it, don't accept the defect.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.