Scuffed the back glass :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lingham, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Lingham macrumors regular

I have scuffed the top corner of my phone :(

It’s the corner with the camera on it and im pretty sure it was caused by my case (non apple one so no blame going their way)

It is a kinda clamp style case which covers the back and the sides.

It has a tiny lip on the top of the sides to kind of clamp onto the face to hold it in place.

Where it has been put in it has made about 10 tiny scratches and one or two on the camera lens itself.

I can deal with the tiny scratches as you don’t really notice them but will the camera be affected at all?

I read somewhere you can have the glass replaced. Is this possible (im in the UK) by the way?

2. Menzo macrumors member

Might I suggest you take a photo with enough light around and see?

3. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

Would I to see properly need to view it on a PC?

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I replaced the front and back glass on my iphone 4 with the white glass from whiteiphone4now.com. I'll sell you my back black glass if you want. $50 it's in perfect shape. Let me know if you're interested and I'll take pics. it's easy to replace, just remove the two screws on the bottom and push up.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

what case and material was it? was the camera recessed w/ the cover on?

6. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

How do you mean what material was it? Its just the normal i4 black rear case and the camera is flush to the back?

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

The Apple Store will replace your back glass for just $29, I s*** you not!

8. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

Thats in the UK as well?

9. gatearray macrumors 65816

Not sure, but I don't see why not, it's a corporate thing. Even though the glass is scuffed, the phone still works, right? Give them a call and find out! :)

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I mean is it plastic, hard rubber, etc. There is no normal one clamp style, the only 'standard' one is the Apple Bumpers but other brand covers come in various materials example: http://www.iphone4case.com/

If the camera is flushed w/ the cover, then that means that the cover maybe wasn't protecting the lenses glass deep enough and the scratches could have been made by you and not necessarily by the cover itself...:)

11. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok sorry I thought you meant the iphone itself.

Its hard plastic and has a coloured back with the iphone info on (designed in cali…) and the sides are clear plastic with a slight lip on the top, not a “clamp” as such but only think I could think of to describe it. It doesn’t cover the bottom connection area or the top as this is all clear

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no prob. I think if you are constantly removing that cover and is hard plastic, then probably the snapping on/off of the cover is what's causing the scratches... when you snap it from the other side of the camera to the other side, then the other side of the hard plastic basically pushes against that corner where the camera is and the hard plastic scratches it.... Try to see if putting it from the camera side first and then clamping/push to the other side will cause you to not scratch the camera side anymore.
    To test the damage to the camera, take pictures in all lights & flash conditions and sync to your computer and check if the pictures have problems to decide if you should change the back side or not!

13. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah im pretty certain exactly that has happened. I intend to test out the camera tonight and if its affected make a trip to the Genius Bar tomorrow and look for a replacement back I think

I have now put a rear protector on the phone and put my silicone case back on it for added cover

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

i've read this a couple times now, is this actually true?

15. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

I rang the local Apple store to where I live in the UK and asked the girl who answered the phone if they could replace it for me. I asked for a price but she couldn’t give me one but said the appointments are free and to come in and have a chat with them so I will report back on Saturday night so let you know what they said and the costs etc