Sd adapter for additional storage.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Zeke D, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I have a 1st gen 16gb iPad running ios5.0.1. I also have a 32gb 3rd gen iPod touch. Finally, I have a 2nd gen apple tv 40gb. My music collection on the atv and iPod is only 4gb or so, photos are only about 2gb. I don't want to put 4gb of music on my iPad, since I listen to music on my iPod. Occasionally I do want to listen to an album while at university. Do you all think I can use the sd card reader and a sd card and listen to the mp3s on the iPad.

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Camera Connection Kit + iFile does the job.

3. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Does the iPad have to be jail broken to use ifile?

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yes. Without a jailbreak, you can only use the camera connection kit for photos and videos.

5. Lehcim macrumors member

Without the jailbreak, is it possible to see a movie stored in the SD Card ?

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but only if it's in an iPad-native format (.m4v, not sure what else works) and it probably has to be named something specific. I know that photos have to be in a folder named DCIM and have to start their filenames with IMG, I don't know if videos have similar requirements. Basically, Apple only wants you to be able to take an SD card right out of a camera you were just shooting on and see the pictures and videos you shot - so you have to convince it that that's what you're doing. Just having a random blockbustermovie.avi file lying around won't work without iFile.