SD Card Adaptor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrCookieMonster, Aug 15, 2017.

1. MrCookieMonster macrumors newbie

Just ordered a new 13" MBP.

Can anyone recommend an adaptor for connecting an SD card please?

Also, any thoughts on using a thumb drive for time machine backups v external 7200 spinning disk? Think external SSD is still pretty pricey...

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Numerous USB-c card readers here:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...&sprefix=usb-c+sd+,aps,197&crid=10LVSSV44P8VQ

If you don't mind "just a little larger", there are some that offer USB3 (A-type) ports as well.
    I saw one by G-TING that had 2 card slots (SD and mini SD), 2 USB ports, and an ethernet port also.

What kind of external drive you buy for backup depends on how large your INTERNAL drive is.

For 256gb, I'd get an equally-sized USB3 SSD, and instead of Time Machine I'd use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable cloned backup. All the files will be there, and it's a SECOND bootable drive if you get into an "I can't boot!" moment with the internal SSD.

3. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

4. MrCookieMonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I looked at that one, but it got pretty consistent bad reviews.

5. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

I have the Satechi USB Drive looking one and it works well. Has both the smaller and normal sized SD Card reader on it.

6. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

yeah and I don't know why. Ive used it consistently everyday for six months and with several different types of cards and I've had nothing but success with it.