SD card-dead??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cuestakid, Sep 15, 2007.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

So yesterday I accidentally put my phone into my washing machine, along with a 2GB SD card inside. Obviously the phone died and I had to to get a new one. But it was not until I got to the providver's store that I realized that I also had a SD card inside.

Now While they did a decent job of trying to clean it up and save it, they told me to take it home and put it some place warm. They also said that I should try it in the morning but I guess I am still wavering on whether or not to put it into my "new" phone.

So my question is that is there a way to test to see if the card works ? I have a digital camera that I could potentially try it in, since I rarely use it, and I also have a card reader on my printer. Or would it be safe to place it into the phone anyways? Or is the card already dead?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Just pluf it in whatever it wil leither work or it won't. Just make sure it's nice and dry before you do.

Should work though SD card's are hard to kill.

To be honest if you had removed the battery from the phone and put it in a warm place to dry for a couple of day it would have probably worked too. I've dropped a phone in a pint before and it worked after a long drying period!

3. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

so i put the sd card into my camera, took some pics and put it into my printer-nothing seemed to be fried or get fried so it looks like im good.

thanks for the tips

4. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Flash media storage cards are really only susceptible to EM pulses (this is not something a normal person should have to worry about) and static discharge to their contacts. Now, obviously physically smashing the thing would kill it, too, but I'm not including something that common sense should tell anyone not to do. :)

In most cases, it takes the host it's connected to having a glitch which causes active erasure of data to either cause you to lose data or to scramble the overall contents of one of them.