SD Card Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefdimo, Dec 19, 2012.

1. chefdimo macrumors newbie

I just bought macbookpro. I have a nikon d7000 which is using an 8gig SanDisk Ultra HC SD card.

I can access my pictures from Finder, but I have two issues: (I do not have these issues using windows 7)

1- I cannot CUT files from it, I can only copy/paste

2- How do I format the SD card using my mac?

Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

1. just copy & paste in OSX, easily enough to delete after the transfer.
    2. Open Disk Utility and format as FAT32 (better yet use your camera to format, this will also delete so step 1 isn't an issue.

3. chefdimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I just noticed one more issue. I am trying to move the files from my SD card to another external harddrive. The external harddrive was originally formatted in windows. I can access all its files (pictures, music, and videos) just fine. I just can't even copy files from SD card to it (even indirectly by copying them to mac hd and then copying them to the ext hd). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

OSX can't natively write to NTFS drives. You can buy a driver that'll do it but it just might be easier just to reformat the drive to exFAT. (both windows & OSX can read / write exFAT)

5. chefdimo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 800 gigs of data in that drive! :( So that means I have to buy a new one for the easy solution?

If so, what brand do you suggest I buy? And I can exFAT format the drive in Disk Utilities in MacBook?

How do I transfer these files to the new drive?

Thanks

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You can format to exFAT and FAT32 from Disk Utility. Plus all the OSX formats.

Since you don't have a backup for your 800GB drive you're still at risk of losing those files. A 1TB portable drive can be had for $100 or so, then you can backup your 800GB and have an actual backup.

If you have multiple computers windows / mac and stationary storage is okay then consider getting a NAS (Synology). The mid line ones include an SDHC & USB card reader with 1button copy and all units include Time Machine compatible backups (plus windows backups). They're perfect for storing your photos and can even share them. Just my 2c.

7. chefdimo thread starter macrumors newbie

still have problems

Thanks everyone for answers. So now I am just trying to have a 1 gig external hd to share info between mac and pc. I bought a Toshiba EX HD and formatted it by my macbookpro in exFAT. I have no problem reading and writing files with mac, but pc labtop can't read the drive. It asks me to format it first.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

8. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

9. chefdimo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response. I don't want to sound whiny, but are there any free fixes or alternatives?

Thanks