sd card not mounting, via sd reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jimcartermdw, Aug 16, 2013.

1. jimcartermdw macrumors newbie

i have a canon 550d, bought recently. i can't take photos from the sd card. it used to work until it stopped working today. i tried formating card in camera, that does not do anything. i tried using another sd reader and nothing. i do not have a mac with an internal sd reader, i use an sd reader that connects to mac via usb. many people have this problem. shouldn't it just mount? otherwise i can't get photos from my sd card. what's the point of having a digital camera if you can't take photos from it on computer. can't it 'just work'?

and sd card works fine in camera. i can view photos and videos on camera and can take photos on it.

2. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Surprised you haven't got an SD card slot on the Mac?
    Anyway, card readers are like HHD's, they don't last forever

Firstly, check that the card it not locked? There is a little sliding switch on one side of the card, this should be "up", that is towards the gold contacts

If that is OK, get yourself a good card reader, they are not that expensive now,
    I recently bought a Lexar USB 3 card reader, works a treat and the USB 3 is quick

Finally, get yourself good reliable cards, there are many out there but either Sandisk or lexar are good

For example, I recently bought a Nikon AW100 to take out on the boat,
    The deal came with a "free" SD card, sure enough, and I should known better and threw it straight in the trash can, I lost 400 images!

Because SD cards are in such high demand now, especially compared to CF cards, the average price is extremely low

Lastly, buy from a reputable dealer, there are counterfeit copies out there

Caution!
    You said you tried formatting your card in the camera,
    If you were successful in doing that, you would have deleted all your images,

When you get everything sorted out, and you finally have your images backed up, at least in 2 places,

You should format the card in your camera, even when you buy a new card, it should be formatted in camera before you start shooting

Just a learning curve right now, have fun!
    ....Gary

3. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Have you tried a different USB cable to connect them?

I had an card reader die on me a couple years back, before I had a Mac with an SD slot. So I just used to connect the camera directly to the Mac instead of buying a new card reader.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Does the Canon have a USB interface? If so, you can try copying the images that way since the camera seems to recognize the card. What model Mac are you using? What version of OS X?

5. jimcartermdw thread starter macrumors newbie

Surprised you haven't got an SD card slot on the Mac?

ye, this mac does not have sd card reader. this is pretty new feature with macs.

i have macbook unibody white 2009

Have you tried a different USB cable to connect them?

i have two sd readers. the first one did work. it recognised my sd card but i never tried the second sd card that came with camera. and when i took pictures with it, it did not let me copy files. it was recognised at first by my mac but it was dodgy. some photos were loading some did not. and now neither of them are recognised by my mac.

i’m not sure if the first sd card reader is working anymore. i used the second tevio sd reader and it does not show it on mac. i know that the second works because memory stick pro duo is working.

Does the Canon have a USB interface? If so, you can try copying the images that way since the camera seems to recognize the card.

the camera works fine. i do not know if it has usb thing. i think it does, but i don’t have that cable.

What model Mac are you using? What version of OS X?

macbook unibody white 2009. mountain lion 10.8.4
    i do not think there is anything wrong with computer. i have fairly modern mac. and there is nothing new to sd cards. it’s just a drive.
    it does recognise hd, and usb memory sticks, memory pro duo from my psp and sony camera. but sd used to work and stopped after i inserted second sd card that was kinda dodgy.

my first sd card is pretty good 4gb panasonic from panasonic video camera.

the card that came with camera was dodgy, kinda weird label on it ‘raspbian element14’. may be there was some kind of virus on it. but i suppose it was formated in the camera.

the camera works, it takes pictures on both sd cards. both are 4gb cards. and it plays photos in camera, but when it comes to connecting those sd cards to my mac, they just do not show up. they do not show up in the disk utility. it is like you do not connect anything. macbook does not mount the disk and does not see it.

i will go to apple store to ask them and go to boots to try to print a photo to see if their photo kiosk recognises my sd cards.

You said you tried formatting your card in the camera,
    If you were successful in doing that, you would have deleted all your images

i formated the panasonic one, the one that worked at a time, since i copied all photos from it. but the raspbian sd card i did not format since it has videos and photos i did not copy. if will see if i can copy them to usb memory stick at least.

i do need a bigger memory sd card. i am not sure if it is an sd card or card reader problem.

i need to say that panasonic is actually sdhc card. i am not sure if raspbian is sdhc card.

before buying a camera i never thought i will have a problem copying photos from the sd card. it seems such a simple thing. you connect it, it shows up like a drive, you copy files from it, you eject disk. which is what it was before i connected raspbian sd card.

thanks to everyone who answered

6. jimcartermdw thread starter macrumors newbie

7. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Great news!
    Glad you got it sorted
    ....Gary