SD Card not showing up when I press "Option"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cccade3, May 14, 2012.

1. cccade3 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 macbook, and I'm trying to upgrade to Snow Leopard with the disc information on a SD Card. It tells me to hold down "Option" on startup, and when I do, the only thing I can choose is "Mac" with a picture of the hard drive icon, there is no option for the Snow Leopard Update/SD Card. How do I make it appear? Since there is no SD card slot in my computer, I am using an SD card adapter, and it works perfectly, the problem has nothing to do with the adapter. Please help! :confused: :confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

How did you copy what exact contents via what way to the how formatted SD card?

If the SD card is formatted properly* and you used CarbonCopyCloner to clone the contents of the install medium (if it actually is compatible with your Mac) to the SD card, it should be bootable.

3. cccade3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I copied all the information from a Snow Leopard update disc onto a SD card using the Disk Utility. I followed a Youtube tutorial.

4. simsaladimbamba

Then try the method I mentioned.

PS: What exact tutorial, since there are probably hundreds?

5. cccade3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I'll try it now--and I used this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r51uVyZANYw

6. simsaladimbamba

Normally that is the correct method, but I often experienced problems using Disk Utility that way, thus I used Disk Utility to make a bootable installer of my Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD, though I made a disk image first via Disk Utility like shown in the video.

7. cccade3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks. But I'm not completely Mac savvy, so I was wondering if you could explain to me step-by-step how to do this with Carbon Copy Cloner, or send me a tutorial? I know I'm asking for a lot, but I really want this done tonight.

8. simsaladimbamba

• Insert the DVD.
    • Insert the USB flash memory thumb drive.
    • Format it like shown in the video or the following guide
    • Download CarbonCopyCloner (CCC) and install it
    • Open CCC
    • Select the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD as SOURCE (left side of the CCC window)
    • Select the freshly formatted USB flash memory thumb drive as TARGET (right side of the CCC window
    • Press CLONE
    • Enter password
    • Wait
    • Check via System Preferences > Startup Disk
    • Boot from it
    • Install

9. cccade3 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's currently cloning. Thank you so much! I'll let you know in about 10 minutes if it worked. Thanks again! :) :apple: