Sd card or usb flash for extra storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slgray49, Dec 14, 2014.

1. slgray49 macrumors newbie

I am looking for a simple portable method to increase the storage of my Macbook. I want something I can basically install and forget that won't protrude or will so minimally. So I am looking for something like one of the following.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Jet...=UTF8&qid=1418577776&sr=1-6&keywords=storedge

http://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ult...id=1418578912&sr=1-2&keywords=low+profile+usb

I plan on using this to store my iTunes or iPhoto library. What I need to know is would either of these drives be fast enough for my iTunes library if I am watching a movie?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Both look pretty good.

If you have good access to Wi-Fi don't forget that you can use iTunes in the cloud.

The key thing would be the speed of the connection that you prefer.
    The USB 3.0 SanDisk indicates a speed up to p to 130MB/s read, while the Transcend Max Read: 95MB/s, Max Write: 60MB/s.

Also the encryption and security you would like to use, as those are very small and easy to remove are also kind of easy to loose.

One good question is how often will you need to have the USB port available while using the SanDisk?

3. slgray49 thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on using this as a permanent means of increasing my capacity. I don't plan on taking them out so I am not worried about loosing them. I think I would prefer the SD card since it is less protruding and a larger capacity but I am not sure the transfer speed needed to seemlessly play music and movies from iTunes. And I'd prefer not to have to pay for iCloud storage for my library.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I have two 64GB PNY StorEdge SD cards for one of my rMBPs, and I like them better than USB drives. I'm getting another one for my current rMBP - the cards I have fit my 2012 pretty flush but stick out a bit on my 2013 rMBP - the SD cards are model-specific, so choose the correct form factor if you go that route.

One downside to leaving in one of these cards is power usage, read this from Apple:
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202124

Leaving one of these cards, your Mac laptop won't enter Standby mode while on battery power. I pull out my SD cards or shut down my laptops when traveling. Better informed, than not IMO.

5. slgray49 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you use your SD card for? Is it fast enough for music and movies? Also how is the power drain when the computer is in use? Thanks for the info about standby power.

6. campyguy macrumors 68040

Mainly files I exchange between my PCs and Macs, generally when plugged in to a power supply. The cards are plenty fast for music and video, and are well suited for just that. And, as I related earlier, I don't leave the SD cards in while the Mac I'm traveling with is in Sleep mode - I can't offer feedback about power loss during Sleep; I generally do shut down my MBPs when traveling as they only take a few seconds to start up, but that's just me (I travel with a VZW LTE iPad too with UL data, so I use that for email/surfing/file transfer - and never use public wifi while on the road, so a turned-off rMBP isn't a hassle for me).

I will buy another pair of either the PNY or Transcend SD cards for my current rMBP, so there's an endorsement for you!