SD Card Partitions not viewable in Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kiii, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Kiii macrumors newbie

Greetings:

Long time lurker. Finally pulled the trigger and got a Macbook Air 3 days ago. I purchased a 64gb microSD card to add storage space. The original use for the card was to place my Dropbox and my Google drive folders on it. While I understand I should pick one cloud storage system, one is for my primary work and the other is for my 2nd job so its not like I can just choose one.

Found out that Google drive only works on a NTFS partition so I partitioned the card into 2, one in NTFS and the other in exFAT.

Problem is windows only recognizes the first main partition of an external storage. Assigning a drive letter to the 2nd partition letters does not work. Tried FAT32 for giggles but it still won't show. So basically I can't see the other drive while on windows but both are viewable on MacOS.

Is there a program that would make the partitions viewable and usable by windows explorer?

Thanks

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Google "flip removable bit + usb". Flash drives and SD cards work the same on Windows. You have to make Windows think that it is not a removable drive. It may or may not work though.

3. Kiii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response! The Lexar boot program sadly didn't work and found some pretty scary looking workarounds. From what I understand though, if I can trick windows to think the SD card is permanent, which ironically it is since I do not plan to remove it from the slot, than windows will recognize all the partitions.

Will keep searching

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Did you happen to find this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1585572

5. Kiii thread starter macrumors newbie

I did but I am using a 64bit version whereas the drivers only work for the windows 7 32bit :(

It does mention an update if the 64 bit drivers from Hitachi will work but there hasn't been one.