SD card permissions issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diogones, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Diogones macrumors regular

Diogones

I have an '08 Macbook Pro that I use for handling my photo editing. Recently, I've been taking a lot of photos with my cell phone and digital camera, and I've started adding the photos into the Mac via the built-in card reader. However, a few of the cards stubbornly refuse to be modified, and their permissions state that I can only read the photos (and everything else, for that matter) on the cards. I have no write privileges whatsoever. I've tried several methods to fix this permission problem, with no success:

There is no option to repair,verify, or repair permissions available in Disk Utility, so that app can't help. There is no option to change my read/write status within the permissions subsection of the Get Info dialog box. The cards have not been set to "Lock" with the little plastic switch they have built-in. The cards are formatted as either FAT-16 or FAT-32, so they don't have an exotic format. I have even reformatted the cards within Disk Utility, to no avail. I've also formatted the cards from within the digital camera and cell phone menus, but that didn't solve the problem. Additionally, there are no options within the devices' menus to grant write permissions to the cards. Finally, I know the cards are not malfunctioning, because I have successfully mounted and written to them in both Windows (XP and 7) and in Linux (Ubuntu and Slackware); on separate computers, no less!

For some reason, the Mac OS has trouble granting permissions with these specific cards, and I'm not sure why. None of the other operating systems have any problems writing to the cards, and the SD card reader isn't broken, because I can write to at least one of the cards. In any event, I'm confounded, so please speak out if you know of a workable solution!

2. Diogones thread starter macrumors regular

Diogones

It appears as if there doesn't seem to be a workable solution to the SD card at this time. :(