SD Card Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BigMcGuire, Jun 13, 2012.

1. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I purchased a class 10 - 32 GB SD card for my Macbook Air (13' late 2011). I followed the direction of several threads here and used scissors to clip the sd card in half so it would be flush with the body. Everything worked, and has been working - with gigabytes of iPhoto data, iTunes library, and a nice storage place for my downloads, I've been having fun off loading gigabytes of data to my SD card.

However, recently I run into an: "operation cannot be completed error code -50", where it wouldn't write data to the SD card but would read from it just fine. I did a verify disk which said "volume bitmap needs minor repair for under-allocation." So I repaired the disk and was immediately able to resume normal activity.

Just for the heck of it, after repairing the disk, I closed my laptop lid, and opened it back up to verify disk and got another "volume bitmap needs minor repair for under-allocation." So I repaired it and this time, before shutting the lid, I ejected the SD Card via Finder and then closed the lid. I opened it back up and did a verify disk and there were no problems.

Do I need to eject the SD card every time I close my laptop lid when I'm leaving it in the SD Card bay?

Thanks!

2. BigMcGuire thread starter Contributor

BigMcGuire

So I'll rephrase this... Leaving an SD Card in my Macbook Air - is there anyway to not have to eject every time I close the laptop lid to put the computer to sleep? Because I keep corrupting my SD card after a few weeks and having to reformat it.

Those of you with flush SD cards, what do you do? Do you always eject your SD before closing your laptop lid?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes you should eject before sleeping each time. I am not aware of a way to do it automatically, but you could cobble together an Applescript to make it easier to do manually.

5. poppop63 macrumors newbie

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Those that also happen when you turn off your computer or only when in sleep mode ?

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I don't understand why you are having this problem. I've had an SD card inserted in my Air for three days straight with no errors, and the card was never "ejected". The computer has slept and hibernated many times. The card always shows in finder when I wake it, and I have had zero error messages. I use it to store and read my CBR files (magazines) and I've had no interruption in my reading enjoyment.

8. BigMcGuire thread starter Contributor

BigMcGuire

Happened only with sleep mode as far as I knew.

----------

Probably a bad card then. Thanks for the information. I am thinking about getting another one now. :)