SD card reader not working >:(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dal3, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Dal3 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new here i just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. my sd card reader on my 2 month old macbook pro just randomly stopped working. it worked great til now. any advise would be greatly appreciated. I need my laptop for college so I can't really drop it off anywhere to get fixed any time soon. thanks in advance for the help!

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Do you live near an Apple store? They may be able to fix it while you're in the store.

3. CFoss macrumors 6502

Try using a different SD card, to confirm that it isn't the SD Reader. If it's still not working, return the MacBook to Apple, as it's a defect.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Also, if they don't have the same one you are bringing in don't settle for less - often they will give you an upgraded model.

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

the sd reader crapped out on my 7,1 mbp. needed a new logic board, luckily i bought apple care as it happened around 14 months after i bought it. took around 4 days for them to fix it, works like new now. would have been $500 if it wasn't under warrantee.

6. Dal3 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thank you all for the quick replies. i love this laptop and it sucks something had to break on it already. the nearest apple store is about 45 min away and i have class and work everyday so i need to figure something out.

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You can always have a friend record the class, or better yet live broadcast it so you can hear it while you wait at the store.

8. Ted939 macrumors newbie

Blow it out!

Blowing out the dust from the SD slot worked for me! Thanks for the suggestion!