SD Card *RIDDLED* with "./" ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soundburst, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I hate how the Macintosh does this - I don't know why or how it does it. There's no reason.

But I got an SD Card to copy music to so I can have songs play in the car.

I spent an ages dragging songs on, then going through the SD Card renaming them (as often a song is '01 Intro') so I went in and removed all the numbers etc.

Then putting it in the car EVERY ALBUM has duplicates of all the songs , except that there is a full stop "." before - and that file won't play - so you've to scroll down to find the actual version of the song.

I used these forums to find out how to delete the .trashes and .spotlight files or something and got rid of those.

I also used the Terminal to show all hidden files - and yet if I go into a folder on the SD card there's no files there other than the songs. But when I play it on the car all of the hidden files are there.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of these stupid files so I can have the folders just contain. . . . .you know. . . .the stuff I want to contain? . . .and only the items that are visible when I view on the computer? :)

Cheers for any help.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those files are created because non-HFS drives cannot properly store the file metadata and resource forks that are needed. You can remove them with a utility called Hidden Cleaner.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey man,

I can't find that on the App Store? I got one called OptimUSB but it only removes the root . files and not all the ones in the folders within :(

----------

Oh ho found it on CNET. . . but it won't open , mustn't be compatible with Yosemite :(:(:(:(:(

Thanks for your help though. Very much appreciated :)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's a large world outside of the App Store. Look within it using an internet search engine. It doesn't work by opening it, drag the drive onto the utility to launch it.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

A utility app that accepts disks or folders dropped on it would be fairly simple to make in Automator.

It'd basically be a variation on this one-line shell command:
    Code:
    find -x "PATHNAME_GOES_HERE" -name "._*" -delete

I warn readers now, this is NOT the exact command-line. If the reader can figure it out from this, great. If not, then ask for details and I'll work up the specific steps and post them.

6. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers guys. Very kind.

I found this on the Apple Discussion Forums and it worked a treat. Hopefully it helps others.

So:
    Open Terminal (in Applications/Utilities)
    Enter: dot_clean
    spacebar
    drag the flashdrive from the Desktop to the Termnal window
    press enter