SD card slot defective - what does Apple replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by red5standingby1, Apr 9, 2014.

1. red5standingby1 macrumors newbie

saw several posts about buggy SD cards, heres another one:

my SD card slot has been super buggy, ie loses connection after a short period, sometimes during import, etc. one time i had to hold my rMBP at an angle for it to finish import, really

other issues include a trackpad that doesnt quite depress on the left side, theres 1 bad pixel on my retina screen (already had screen replaced once), and now the sd card issue

Not in a rush to replace it since i use an external usb 3.0 reader most of the time, though i was wondering: if i take it to the apple store, is the SD slot a component that gets replaced? or the whole logic board? if the logic board gets replaced, do they give me a haswell machine :D (this is a 2012 ivy)

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No one has any possible answer to that but the Apple repair technicians can see it once they get it in and open it up.

But no, they have spare parts for older machines so do not expect a fully new computer.

Did it have the other issues when you got it? Otherwise we are talking simple wear and tear here. These are consumer products meant to be used.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They replace the logic board and it's a like for like replacement!

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Why would they give you haswell when they can give you broadwell? In fact, they will throw in an iPhone 6, iPad Air, Airport Capsule as well as Apple Care for all these. Apple would definitely NOT store any parts that's 1-2 years. It's waste of space and resources.:eek:

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You get a like for like part. The can't even order a Late 2013 board because when they pull up the repair with your serial, it only gives them a list of parts.

The only possible mistake is you get slower or faster processor, more or less RAM, etc. If this happens and you get something worse, you can make a case for a computer replacement. Though the chance of them making this mistake is very low.

6. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

On the rMBP, the SD card slot is on a daughter board. Most likely they will just replace that board. It also has the HDMI and the right side USB on it. As far as your trackpad issue, it's most likely just an adjustment that they can do.