SD Card slot not working on MBP 13" (2010)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Sep 6, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

The SD card slot has stopped working on my late 2010 mbp 13" I got about 8 months ago. I haven't used the SD card slot in a few weeks so I'm not sure if the Lion installation could have knocked it out. Anyone have this problem?

I tried a technique suggesting you do not put the sd card completely into the slot but that didn't work.

Tried a bunch of cards.

I have an SSD installed in the DVD slot so I can't really go to Apple right now.

Thanks.

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

When my SD reader stopped working I needed a new logic board.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

When the SD card slot and ExpressCard 32 slot is dead, it means it needs a new logic board most of the time.

Take it to Apple.
    It might need a major surgery.

4. rbm0307 macrumors newbie

If the slot is not working, then it is a logic card problem that others have pointed out. A temporary fix until you can get the laptop to apple is to use a USB-connected SD card reader.

5. whooda4 macrumors newbie

I love my MPB but this is rediculous. Something like this should not be this common on a 1200 product. I have a broke down pos laptop that handles it no problem.

6. RayK macrumors 6502

According to the service manual it is most likely a logic board problem. :(

7. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have applecare. What does Apple do if it is the logic board? I need the computer for work? Will they fix it on the spot, offer a loaner, or replace with new macbook pro?

8. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

My 15 in. i5 from 2010, doesn't work either, as far as the sd is concerned. I have applecare, but i've just never bothered to call about it. I'll have to take it to apple this weekend i guess...

9. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I googled and saw this problem is also happening with 2011 MB Pros. Some user commented that it's a software issue because the problem migrated to a replacement laptop after migration assistant was used to port their settings to the new laptop.

I am also having an issue with a Verizon USB 760 broadband card having some problems being detected by software. I'll plug it into one slot, it won't detect, then switch USB slot and it will detect.

Don't know if it's related.

I came from Dell M1330 laptop that suffered from excessive heat with NVIDIA graphics. Poor Dell/Unissys repair guys had to replace the motherboard 6 times in 2+ years because the solvent they used on the heatsink was not doin the job.

Hope the NVIDIA chip isn't what caused my mbpro to fail. It gets awfully hot when i process images using Adobe Lightroom. Had to order a case to protect my lap.

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I doubt they'll fix it on the spot(I don't know for sure how long it takes, but I'd assume it's at least a little involved and with how busy Apple stores always are, having it fixed on the spot doesn't seem super likely to me, but you never know), I think thy had mine back to me in 3 days when I got a new logic board. If it's your first logic board issue, they won't give you a new one. And I've never heard of them having loaner MacBooks.

And the USB thing is more than likely related to the issue causing the SD problem.