SD Card slot not working...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingobiatch, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dingobiatch macrumors member

My SD card slot on my 2012 MBP Retina isn't working.

I've taken a look from different angles at my laptop, and I'm realizing I must have dropped it at some point because some of the body is very slightly bent.

It hasn't affected any other function on the computer thankfully, but I'm guessing my SD card slot is screwed because of this.

Now, what are my options? I'm guessing if I go into the Genius Bar, I'll be told I need a motherboard replacement... will this be accurate? If so, how much is it? Could I do it myself instead? (I'm pretty competent with these things, build computers all the time)

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Or buy a card reader....or connect camera's via USB?

3. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I should explain why I'm doing this - it's because I'm trying to make use of a JetDrive I just got (it's a 128gb SD card designed to fit flush to my laptops side).

Additionally, at some point I'd like to sell this computer and I don't think it's fair to sell it with a broken SD reader.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ah ok - but perfectly fair to sell it with a bust SD - just as long as you make that clear, many purchaser's may not care and appreciate a small price reduction...

5. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

Good point.

I suppose I'll take the laptop to the Genius Bar and see what they think, if it's a pricey repair then I won't get it done and I'll sell with a note saying the SD card isn't working.