SD Card Slot Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobster89, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Bobster89 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My other half has just bought a Macbook Air (and I have a MacBook Pro) and i was thinking of getting her a 64GB SD card for hers.

Now I've seen on Amazon that you can get MicroSD card adapters that fit in flush to the Macbook (Link here).

I'm just wondering if there would be a performance difference between a normal SD card (that pokes out) compared to one of the above MicroSD card adapters on amazon? Would a normal SD card be more reliable (less likely to break) than the MicroSD card in the adapter?

If there isn't any difference between performance and reliability then I'll go for the flush MicroSD card adapter, but I'm just wondering as the MicroSD card has to go through an adapter to get into the Mac, would that cause performance issues or a higher chance of it breaking?

Thanks for you help guys.

2. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Mini Drive here states that their adapter works at speeds of up to 90MB/s read/write depending on the MicroSD you stick it in.

The one in your link does not state any speed, and I suspect it will work in the 20MB/s range.

There are also alternatives like the Transcend Jetdrives (scroll down the page to see model, capacity and speed). These cost more though.

3. Bobster89 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks for that. So would it be faster to use a normal SD card and just plug that into the macbook? Rather than using a MicroSD with an adapter?