SD Card Slot Stopped Working - 2015 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ace2617, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

As the title says, the SD Card slot in my 2015 rMBP has stopped working and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a fix?

I looked on Apple support and two of the answers I saw were "put the card in faster" and "put the card in slower," neither of which worked.

Basically, when I put the SD card from my Canon camera into my MBP, the MBP doesn't recognize it anymore. It also seems like the card might not be going in the slot all the way? I had a friend help me as a test, and the card worked in his Mac, so I figured it's not the card.

I either need to find a way to fix it, or buy an adapter for one of my other ports, because I need to be able to access the SD card.

Anyone else have this problem in the past?

2. Ruggy macrumors regular

Not on a computer but with memory cards, yes.
    If you don't think it's going in all the way then you somehow need to look in there and see if a pin is bent. Sounds like it.
    Otherwise, sometimes the contacts get dirty and the solution I've used is a piece of card cut to size-business card something like that- which you can insert and that will clean the contacts.
    Best suggestions I've got I'm afraid, but a reader might well be the answer in the end.

3. Earl Urley macrumors 6502

Earl Urley

Usual suspects for SD cards not working are: incompatible cards, bad I/O board, bad I/O flex cable.

Parts are different for 13-inch and 15-inch rMBPs, but the I/O board for each carries the SD card slot and hardware.

You should be able to take it to the Apple Store or AASP and get it replaced.

Otherwise if you don't want to do that, yeah, just get an external USB 3.0 SD card reader.

4. Ace2617 thread starter macrumors regular

Ace2617

I don’t think the card is incompatible, I’ve used it for months now without any problems until now. I’ll probably just get a USB 3 card reader so I can consistently access the card.