SD Card to extend storage - what's everyone using?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by samcraig, Dec 7, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I have the 2015 128GB Macbook Air and wondered if other people are extending storage via the SD card and what you're using. Interested in mostly what card (speed) and whether you're using the native SD reader or using a reader.

Thanks!

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

3. someoldguy macrumors 65816

I'm extending storage on both a 2011 MBA and a late 2013 MBP 15" . Both machines are using microSD cards via flush fitting adapters .The MBA has a 'The Mini Drive" adapter and a Samsung 128 micro SD card. Don't know either speed or model offhand as its' been in the machine for a couple of years . The MBP has similar storage via a 'BaseQi" adapter and a PNY 200 gb micro SD . Got it because it was cheap .It's a Class 10 card . Both run pretty well , able to run stuff like Youtube videos without lagging , and open up Canon CR2 RAW files from my 5D Mk2 without delay .

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

16? Only 16? ;)

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have an 11.6" 2013 MBA so no SD card slot; I use a USB3 Sandisk micro 64Gb flash drive so it should have faster read write speeds (I think) than residing on the SD card?...(disclaimer if I'm wrong)...

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

:) Yeah it contains my music and it's all I need because I've got an external SSD. However I tested it with a 200 gig micro SD and it worked fine.

7. cltd macrumors member

I got three Macs with SD cards on: iMac 27 (in native slot); Macbook Pro Retina 15 (in native slot); Macbook Pro 15" 2008 (via Sonnet SDXC UHS-I Pro which I put to ExpressCard slot). All three cards are SDXC 128 GB and are always on. I use them to keep audio libraries for audio production software (ie. samples, patches, Reason refills) and some mp3 songs libraries. I don't remember now speed details, but when I tested with Black Magic, it was comparable to USB 2.0. Never had any problems with speed or durability.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I'm using a NiftyDrive on my MBA with a Sandisk 200GB card. I recently got the 200GB card to replace the Sandisk 64GB card that I had been using.

I've had no issues with either of the Sandisk cards, but I had a ton of issues with the Lexar 200GB microSD cards I got from Amazon. Both of them got corrupted within minutes and get locked into read-only mode. Amazon made me whole by refunding me in full, but it was a total pain in the ass. Lots of reviews on the Lexar cards should scare you away. It's a shame, because the included microSD-USB3 adapter was pretty nice.

9. padams35 macrumors member

I've parked a 128GB PNY Elite UHS-1 card in my Air's native slot as semi-perminent expansions space and use it to store my Steam game library. I don't really need that much space yet but the room for growth is nice to have.