SD Card to USB HDD via iPad Air... possible?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hjulmann, Sep 23, 2014.

1. hjulmann macrumors newbie

Hi everyone
    I just got a iPad Air a few weeks ago, and I pretty much love everything about it so far.
    There is one thing that I'm really eager to find out. I travel quite alot, and I take quite a few pictures when I do. I store all my pictures on an external USB 3.0 harddrive. And this is where I need help.
    Previously I have travelled with a laptop that had both USB ports and an SD Card port. Now I have none of them :( I would like to transfer pictures from my SD Card (either via an SC Card reader or USB cable for the camera) to my USB 3.0 harddrive. I know that I can buy both a Lightning-USB and a Lightning-SD Card Read accessory, but as I can't connect them at the same time, I'm still kinda stuck. (I'm also not sure that the iPad Air would provide enough power for the USB 3.0 Harddrive...?)

I was thinking if it would be possible to connect
    1) a Lightning - USB cable (from apple)
    2) a USB 3.0 4-port HUB (maybe this one: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U058/)
    3) connect both my USB 3.0 Harddrive and the camera (via USB) to the HUB

As I see it, in theory this would work. Although I'm not sure the software on the iPad Air would let me copy from one connected USB device to another. Or would it... maybe there is an app out there that could handle it?

I'm a newbee on the iPad/Mac-scene... please help me out with suggestions and thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance ;)

2. engg.dude macrumors newbie

You can transfer your pic from the sd card to the iPad via lightning to sd card adapter / use lightning to usb connector and connect your camera (assuming its a digicam/dslr). But there is no way to transfer pics from iPad to the Hdd.

Acc to me, the best solution that you could use is the Seagate wireless Hard disk. It comes with its own app that you can use to transfer data to the hdd.

3. hjulmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer - I'll check out the wireless Seagate HDD :)

I'm baffled though - that there is no way to transfer pictures from iPad to HDD!!

4. engg.dude macrumors newbie

Yeah. You try jail breaking your iPad but I don't know much about it. Other members can help you though

5. hjulmann thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked out some reviews about the Seagate Wireless Plus and it seems to be a really good solution actually. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ;)