SD DVD Compression Tips- Help Please

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macusersince5, Jun 17, 2010.

1. macusersince5 macrumors member

macusersince5

Ok guys here the deal. I have never output to a dvd before and I have a dilemma on compression for a dvd. When I output directly from the timeline in final cut studio I go to export quicktime movie at the top it outputs my movie in amazing quality. It is also 25 gb. I export that same timeline for dvd in compressor even on high settings the quality is less than fantastic. The Video was shot on:
    Panasonic AG-HPX300 HD Camera and
    Two Panasonic AW-HE100 Remote HD Camera

It all ran through a live switcher and and then captured via a capture card in the Mac pro.
    So its not like its crappy.

The total length that I need to fit on a dvd is about 1 hour and half.

Are there any good compression tips to make it look like that wow factor from hollywood for quality. Cuz right now on high its looks bad and its jaggy and fuzzy and looks awful on a television. How can I fix this I need a lot of help Please??????

Thanks

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Well the reason your quicktime file looks much better than your compressed dvd file is that the quicktime file was likely exported in its native format.

The file you're getting from compressor is mpeg2 and is down converted to SD. There's really not much you can do about it. You can tweak the compressor settings to up your quality a bit, but if your delivery format is SD DVD, then you're stuck with mpeg2.

I'd also bring your 25gb exported quicktime into compressor for conversion rather than exporting to compressor from within Final Cut.

It does sound like you might have some interlacing issues. What format was the original footage shot? 720p, 1080i, 1080p?

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

What looks bad on your TV, the actual burnt DVD or just the file played off your Mac connected to your TV?

One easy stem to improve the compression is doing what handsome pete said for a start.

1 Open the 25GB quicktime file in Compressor, don´t export from your timeline

2 When in compressor, click on your file/setting so it´s highlighted. Then in your Inspector window click on frame controls. This is off by default. Just turning it on improves you compression quite a bit. You can even change the settings to make it even better, but render times start to increase drastically.

Good luck

4. macusersince5 thread starter macrumors member

macusersince5

Thank you guys. It was originally shot in 1080i. and it looks somewhat bad on the tv and actually just as bad on a computer screen. Its blurry and fuzzy with the lines when objects move. I think its an interlace issue. What is the best way to get rid of interlace issues so its clear and not fuzzy or blurry on a tv screen?

And another question if If I drop my 25 gb file into compressor which sd video compression should I choose. Each video is about a half hour and I need to fit three on a dvd. So if I exported the 25 gb file using the 120 min for all three do you think that would be safe, or because its 25 gb is that only going to fit onto one dvd when compressed?

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Interlaced is a format, not a fault. Computers just don't know how to deal with interlaced material very well, so that's why it looks wrong when viewed on a computer monitor. But TVs do know what to do with it, so don't attempt to de-interlace.

That's not how compression works. In fact, typically, the larger the original file the better. The 120 min preset should be fine, but as yoak said, when going from HD to SD, make sure frame controls are on.

And if you're going to be doing this again, it'd be worth your while having a look through the compression and DVD sections in your FCP manual. It'll give you a sense of what you actually want and how to go about achieving it.

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The interlacing will definitely be more visible when you play back on a computer monitor, though shouldn't be as bad on your tv. Try deinterlacing your movie and see what results you get from that.

As for your compressor presets, you might be fine with the 90min setting as long as your 3 files are 30min or less. The 25gb size shouldn't matter as compressor is downconverting your file and compressing it to mpeg2 SD footage.

But you might not see a drastic difference between the 90min and 120min settings so you might just be better off going 120 from the start.

Edit: Keith beat me to it. And to add to my comment, don't bother deinterlacing if this is strictly to be viewed on tvs.

7. macusersince5 thread starter macrumors member

macusersince5

ok thanks guys. I'm converting my 25 gb video now by following your advice by turning on the frame controls and all that and its taking forever which i expected it would. I'm not going to deinterlace because it will be on a tv mostly so i'll see how everything goes. Thanks a bunch.

8. elusiveblue macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I have been battling fuzzy/pixelated compression for a week now on my latest project, and it was this info that helped me fix it. Frame Controls were the key. It made all the difference. Thanks again :)

9. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

It took me a long while to figure this out. I´m happy that I could help. It´s so frustrating trying to figure this stuff out. Good luck